Need help with pattern please, Ribbed Cuff Comfies

myemerald

Question

Let me start by admitting that I  have made these before, but can't for the life of me remember how I did this one part. :confused

The pattern is called "Ribbed Cuff Comfies" Designed by Ruth Shepherd and can be found on freepatterns.com.

My problem is transitioning from row 7 of the Vamp to row 1 of the Side (and finishing row 1).

The last line in the Vamp instructions says “At end of last row, do not fasten off.”

First round in Sides section is ch 32. Is that ch 32 to be worked from the end of the vamp that I didn’t fasten off? Or do I start with a new piece of yarn? Neither way seems correct.

If I am chaining from the end of the vamp, then how do I "sl st in last st of row 7 on Vamp"?  That would make a loop starting and ending it the same place, I'm sure that's not correct.

If I start with a new piece of yarn, I can easily ch 32 then "sl st in last st of row 7 on Vamp", except there will still be the fact that I didn't fasten off yet.  But then I "sc in each ch across" which I am assuming means back up the chain, then I'm supposed to "sc in each st across row 7" which I can't do because I'm now 32 stitches away from the Vamp.

Oh good grief!  I sure hope someone can help because this it driving me crazy...LOL   :thair

Thank you!!!

12 answers to this question

You do the chain with the yarn you were using then sl st to the other end of the row you just did and go by the pattern from there.You will have the vamp with a hole to put the foot throuh and working the sides around that.

You do the chain with the yarn you were using then sl st to the other end of the row you just did and go by the pattern from there.You will have the vamp with a hole to put the foot throuh and working the sides around that.

So the instructions should read: "sl st in  last first st of row 7 on Vamp"?  Brilliant!  I'm going with that and trust it will work.  Thank you so much sarisue :cheer

Myemerald, we love to help people having trouble with patterns. Unfortunately, it's copyright infringement and against our forum rules to post a pattern here without permission of the copyright holder, so I've had to remove the pattern you had included in your post.

You're welcome to edit your post or post a new message with additional information about where the pattern was published. That way, if you have more questions, and any of our forum members have the pattern, they'll be able to help you with it.

I know you're new here, so please don't let this make you feel funny about posting again. Situations like this happen from time to time with new members, as you've probably never had to think much about copyright issues before. We hope you'll continue to visit and post a lot!

Amy, thank you for being so kind about it!  I am sorry, I sure didn't even think of that, I should have known better.  I'm usually very aware of these things, I can assure you it won't happen again.

I will definitely be back, I just found your website and think it's wonderful.  Thank you again for being so nice about.  I edited my original post, just in case anyone else has the same trouble with this pattern, they might find the help here.  Would you take a look and let me know if the way I have it now is ok?

....Now can anyone help me with the pattern?  I'm quite new to crocheting, but have made simple stuff before, and from the photo - these don't look too difficult to make, but the directions are very confusing....!!!

the Vamp reads:  With green, ch 11 (13, 15), sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next 8 (10, 12) chs, (sc, ch 2, sc) in last ch; working on opposite side of ch, sc in each ch across, turn (20 sc, 1 ch-2 sp) (24 sc, 1 ch-2 sp; 28 sc, 1 ch-2 sp).  Then the pattern reads on to rows 2-7....

To me, it looks like it's telling you to do single crochets in chains 2-9 (11 or 13), and then to do a single crochet with 2 chains along with another single crochet in the last chain.  ....so what is it going on to talk about working on the opposite side since it's still on the first row???

you turn it slightly to work on the other side of the chain in the free loops, having the stitches across from the ones you just did.

Thanks for your response!

....but wouldn't that already be doing row 2 then?  Or would you say that it's saying to add this on to row 1 and then go on to do row 2?  ....see most pattern I've seen would say that doing that backside work is already row 2....!

....and you're saying that I should do sc in the new (spaces) chains only now?  ....not in the previously (single) crocheted chains?

As the link above shows, you are working in the round, and the same side of the stitches will continue to face you.  

If you have ever made a hat, for example, you started by putting many stitches into 1 spot and working around that in a circle.

In this pattern, you are making an oval, so the chain forms the center "spine" of your oval, and you are crocheting around and around the length of the chain.  This is a typical way to form the sole of a slipper.

Correction and apologies, this isn't done for the sole for this pattern - see posts below

Link to pattern for reference https://www.freepatterns.com/detail.html?code=FC00683&cat_id=484

I don't think it's going all around for this pattern though as for the vamp you do both sides, but then you turn so it's going back and forth instead of around

I'm sorry I should have explained I gave the link how to do it but that this one doesn't keep going around.

My bad SariSue, thanks for catching that -- I didn't look at the pattern close enough.  The sole is made in rows, the vamp (top of foot) is made in an incomplete oval, a U shape.  

So the vamp is worked in rows, but each row goes up one side of the chain and down the other, then turn, repeat in the other direction.  The U will keep getting fatter and longer around the chain.

Archived