Sophie's Universe CAL 2015

VikingRunnerGirl

Hello, everyone! This thread is to have a C'ville place for all of us working the Sophie's Universe CAL for 2015, since it seems there's a few of us! Here's a link to the main page, for anyone curious and maybe wanting to join in.

http://www.lookatwhatimade.net/crafts/yarn/crochet/sophies-universe-cal-2015/sophies-universe-cal-2015-information/

I'm just working on part 1 myself, so no worries about being behind! :lol I've seen some gorgeous pictures so far; hope everybody keeps sharing as they make progress! (I'll put up my picture as soon as I finish part 1 - should be today; the beginning goes quick. :D )

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw AngelRoseLite doing this CAL on the afghan CAL thread and I thought it was absolutely stunning! I'm not sure if I could pull this off but I am VERY tempted because it is just so beautiful! It kind of reminds me of the stained glass window ghan.

Do you know how big it it will end up being?

Keep in touch with your progress! It will encourage more to join in.

Well i get it now, it's going to be one big square, how cool, i didn't know that at first, till i went to that link you posted viking, now I get it, boy, what an undertaking, huh, you people are sure ambitious, and glad you made this thread, love to see everyones progress!! :yes

The stained glass window is another I've got on my list! Though I want to change it to look like the rose window in my alma mater's library ceiling. ;)

Anyway, here's my part 1 picture. There are some beautiful ones in the friendship ghan thread. I hope more people will share here!

post-62070-0-46488700-1425178847_thumb.jpg

I'm looking online at some of the other blankets people have been doing and some of the color combinations are just outstanding! I don't know where to begin with that! Maybe I just go digging in my bin and see what I find. :)

I'm a little farther than this now. I haven't touched it this week, though. I'm working on pillows for the girls, which actually are Sophies through the first 4 parts. I should take pictures of those... :)post-69476-0-26620900-1425232614_thumb.jpg

My two SU's that I started a few days ago. One is being made from magic ball yarn and other odd and end yarns and the other is made from Caron Jumbo in baby rainbow print and Fashion Plus mill-end yarn in a turquoise color. 

post-39682-0-50974600-1425859582_thumb.jpg

post-39682-0-15616200-1425859584_thumb.jpg

I'm getting ready for part 2 - I've told myself I have to finish weaving in ends on each section before I can start the next one, because otherwise I'll end up with a blanket with seven million ends to weave in and I'll just sit down and cry and never complete it. But for now that means I still have some ends to weave on part one so I can't start part two yet. The colors I assigned turn out to be green and blue and grey for this segment so I'm really curious to see how it's going to come out, too!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, some really pretty beginnings!

A friend directed me to the Sophie's Universe CAL a couple of days ago. I have already finished through round 13. I'm doing it as a scrap afghan in girly colors. I plan to stop when I think it's a suitable size for a baby or toddler and give it to my grand daughter.

I suppose I should think about working in those ends too........

Thanks ladies. Here is Sophie through round 27 (I think). I skipped the crab stitch round. (Round 25). Crab stitch makes my hands hurt. I am a little sorry that I skipped it because it really makes the mandala pop, but I'm not sorry enough to frog and add it.

post-6189-0-16789400-1427397636_thumb.jpg

Whoa! Seeing your post got me really itching to get back to mine, so I finally started part 2.  :embar I started off with the hook too small, I think - stuff started cupping as I worked farther out. So I switched to a larger hook, but after a few rows it started rippling. >P No WAY I'm starting over now! So I'm just going to alternate between the two as needed to keep it roughly flat. I'm pretty sure the larger one is what I should be using, but I just couldn't believe it when I started because this yarn is supposed to be DK weight and the I/9 hook I usually use for worsted weight! When I finally get this part fought through I'll post another picture. :D

Archived