Best Size for a Child's Afghan

redrosesdz

Question

I'm making an afghan for my 5 yo granddaughter for Easter.  I started with a baby afghan pattern and am just increasing it.  I want something bigger than crib size, but smaller than a throw, so that she can easily use it and carry it. 

The pattern I chose is 7" squares with a 3" border.  The pattern is 4 x 4 squares, which makes a 34" square.  My original idea was to make it 5 x 6 squares, but I'd have to buy more yarn.  So, here are my choices....

4 X 6, which is 34" x 48" (the size of a child's sleeping bag)

or

5 x 5, which is 41" square.

My delimma is that the 4 x 6 would be nice for napping or drapping at the end of her bed or the 5 x 5 square would be nice for throwing on the floor to sit on for playing.  I don't know which way she'd get the most use out of the afghan.  I'd like her to be able to use it for at least 4-5 years.

Thanks for your help!

6 answers to this question

Based on the article that Reni C posted (Thank You!), I decided to get a bit more yarn.  I'm going with 5 x 6 squares, which is 41" x 48".  The squares are lilac and lavendar, so I bought a dk purple for connecting the squares and the border.

Thanks!

I tend to make my afghans a little bigger (unless it is a very specific pattern and can't be done in multiples) so that they can grow into them.

Have fun and hope you will post a picture. The colors sound really pretty.

Roe

Archived