Mary Poppins Scarf

Meli Jegasini

Question

After having researched Mary Poppins Original Scarf at the Disney Museum I finLly have the colors right.

Being only a novice at chain stitches, I wonder if anyone out there can tell me how to crochet this scarf? They say it is simple but I can't figure out how to make the holes. Pkease help. It is for a High Svhool school production next week.

11 answers to this question

Mary Jo, my anti-virus didn't like the link, or I did something wrong...here is a link to a very similar pattern.

http://pie-in-the-sky-crochetcreation.blogspot.com/2010/03/easy-chain-lace-scarf.html

Note this designer is in Ireland, and it's written in UK terms, so a DC is a US SC.

Mary Jo, my anti-virus didn't like the link, or I did something wrong...here is a link to a very similar pattern.

http://pie-in-the-sky-crochetcreation.blogspot.com/2010/03/easy-chain-lace-scarf.html

Note this designer is in Ireland, and it's written in UK terms, so a DC is a US SC.

So, what do they call a double and triple crochet in UK?

Thank you

Krys

So, what do they call a double and triple crochet in UK?

Thank you

Krys

Double Crochet is called single crochet in British terms

Triple Crochet is called double treble (or triple)

For anyone who needs this.

Translating Crochet Terms Between British and American English

British vs. American English Crochet Patterns

British English

USA - American English

double crochet (dc)

single crochet (sc)

half treble (htr)

half double crochet (hdc)

treble (tr)

double crochet (dc)

double treble (dtr)

treble (tr)

triple treble (trtr)

double treble (dtr)

miss

skip

tension

gauge

yarn over hook (yoh)

yarn over (yo)

Here’s how to make the American htr which is about halfway between the dc and the trc in height. It is sturdier than the spindly trc. Here’s how to make the American htr:

Yo twice. Insert hook in next stitch and draw up a loop (4 loops on hook)

Yo and draw through two loops (3 loops on hook)

Yo and draw through remaining loops (1 loop on hook)

Hi Avon Lady, your post #7 was backwards [there is no SC in UK terms, DC (UK)=SC(US)], but the next post straightened things out.

To the OP, Slip stitch is the same, but all the other stitches in UK terms are 'promoted by 1 level' as compared to US terms.  I've noticed the  UK terms match the motions you make with the hook better.

Some ways to tell (this pattern was easy, Irish designer and you could see the SCs clearly in the photo):

If you see SC in a pattern it must be US terms

If you see chain 1, turn, DC, it's probably UK terms (3 chains for turning is normal for a US DC or UK Treble)

Archived