Advice on stiffeners & black color item

Hi everyone:)

I just crocheted a cross book mark for my friend using black "Aunt Lydia" thread. Now I need to stiffen that. I was wondering if anyone knows if those store bought stiffeners (I have couple of them). will leave some kind of visible residue on that black color?.

I used stiffeners few times before, but never on a black color. I don't have much experience with crocheting thread either.

Maybe I just should crochet couple little swatches & try that out.

Thank you:)

Krys

PS: That black cross it is very plain, I am not "crazy" about that. But I was told: "It must be plain!". I guess man will never change.. LOL

Depending on the religion, as to whether it is plain or not and also the gender.

I have used the store bought stiffener, Stiffy and Arleene's Fabric Stiffener.  You have to make sure you squeeze out the excess and then when it dries, you should take an old stiff toothbrush or any brush and brush off the excess. 

Usually for book marks, I use regular spray starch., but that is up to you.  I have stretched many colors and what I posted is what I do.

When I make bookmarks, I first pin them to a board (I use a 12" X 12" ceiling tile), then mix up Elmer's Glue and water (half and half), and brush it onto the bookmark until the bookmark is soaked, then let it air dry on the board.  If you choose to use the spray starch, pin it first, as in the above method, and just spray it until it is thoroughly wet.  Then let it dry.

Good luck!

Thank you:)

I know how to block & use store bought stiffeners. And I did used many times spray starch. But, that was used on clothes what I needed to iron. I always thought that heat from that iron makes that spray starch stiff. I never tried to just spray that and air dry. 

My second "unknown" is: will any of those live a visible residue on that black color?. I would not be thinking twice if that would be a lighter color. On black everything shows.

Krys

I'm not sure about the residue of the spray starch on black, but it doesn't need heat.  I block doilies by getting them wet, spraying liberally with spray starch, wringing out a bit, and pinning them out to air dry.

I know white glue/water leaves a dull film on stiffened (white) snowflakes, I'd be the most leery of that solution on black.

Thank you Granny:)

I think I will need to crochet a couple small swatches and try different stiffeners & different methods. Before I mess-up that book mark for good.

That is good to know that spray starch can be air dry. I would not ever want to iron my crochet work. I just don't believe that crocheted items should be iron.

Thanks again to everyone! :)

Krys

Thank you Granny:)

I think I will need to crochet a couple small swatches and try different stiffeners & different methods. Before I mess-up that book mark for good.

That is good to know that spray starch can be air dry. I would not ever want to iron my crochet work. I just don't believe that crocheted items should be iron.

Thanks again to everyone! :)

Krys

Krys, I'd love to know what your results end up being.

Thank you:). When you use regular spray starch do you iron that to dry? or just air dry?.

Krys

PS: I know guys do not like "frilies" but I don't think it needs to be very plain.

I meant to answer this before, sorry.  I iron after I spray starch.  Even if you spray starch or use the other store bought stiffening, I always take a tooth brush or something that is stiff and brush both sides.  It helps remove any lose stiffening. 

For black, I'll use a very diluted powdered Argo starch and hot water.  Soak.  Squeeze and roll in a towel to dry.  Pin.  Dry to damp.  Iron the hell out of it to lock the damp fibers into position.  Iron on the back side with light pressure (and no steam - it's already damp - the steam will bring up the crystals) so the front stays fluffy.

Archived