Understanding * and **

Julie-tek

Question

8 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!

If it is written in the standard fashion, this lesson should help http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/?q=tip_crochet.html

Scroll down to Parentheses, Asterisks, and Brackets.

What is the exact name and lcation of the pattern?

Here's where i get stuck.

Edging: (beginning with the top) 3 dc in same st, * [skip 2 st, sc in next st, skip 2 st, 5 dc in next st] 3 times, skip 2 st, sc in next st, skip 2 st, 7 dc in next st (corner), ** sc in side of next sc row, 5 dc in side of next sc row, repeat from ** 2 more times, sc in side of next sc row, 7 dc in first st of bottom (corner), repeat from * ending with sc, 3 dc in same sp at first dc of Round, sl st to top of ch 3, finish off and weave in ends.

what exactly are you not understanding?  You are working now around the side of the piece, into the side of the stitches to create the edging.  

it will help a lot if you will tell us the name and location of the pattern, really helps to know what is being made.  

Starting from *, the first time you encounter **, ignore it, just follow the stitches after the **.

Then, repeat only from the **, twice. 

Then, sc in side of next sc row, 7 dc in first st of bottom (corner), 

Then, repeat from the * once, ending as it tells you.

I didn't understand at first what it meant to work a sc "in the side" of a sc row. I get it now!

Isn't it interesting how a change in perspective, just looking at the stitches from a different angle,  changes everything?  So many times I've been stumped by similar things, and once the lightbulb goes off, it seems simple.  

Archived