Worst (crochet) mistake?

What was the worst mistake you have made in your crochet work?

Mine was rushing to get a bikini wrap made for my daughter, neglecting to measure hip size. Needless, to say it turned out too small.:(

I made my husband's grandmother an afghan for mother's day. It was a pain to begin with. I didn't check my gauge and ran out of yarn, and I had originally purchased all the store had. I had to wait two weeks to get more yarn. Finally, I was a few rows from the end and I put it next to the couch and we went out. When I came back and picked up the afghan to work on it, I found that I had set it too close to the floorboard heater and there were two small sections about 1/4 of the way up from the beginning that had faded from medium thyme to mustard yellow! The edging covered up some of it, but it was still a little noticable and there was no way I was frogging 3/4 of an afghan to get back there. She loved it anyway.

I can't say there was just one mistake. But I think starting something, then never finishing it. I have lots of half done projects that I don't think I will ever get done. Mostly because I don't like the way they are turning out, or else I made a bad color choice.

I am brave...I have posted my Ooops Ghan on my blog....see where I went far wrong haha!

Robin

It's a beautiful colour! Look at the bright side: you won't make that mistake twice. I don't think there is a crocheter out there who has not done one like that in some form or another. My first scarf was similar. :)

So now you know a method for decreasing.

Yep, I made a scarf with RH Light 'n Lofty, no pattern, just dc...that thing looked like an hourglass by the time I got done, because I couldn't see the stitches well enough to count. I will be more careful next time.

It's a beautiful colour! Look at the bright side: you won't make that mistake twice. I don't think there is a crocheter out there who has not done one like that in some form or another. My first scarf was similar. :)

So now you know a method for decreasing.

Apparently I forgot to add stitches at the last stich....so it got thinner and thinner as I went....oh well....*sigh*

Robin

Robin, I can sympathize! I recently did the same thing! Fortunately I realized it after about 10-12 rows (& begand to increase stitches) The afghan I am making (just 2 strand, dc) is huge, 200+ stitches per row---so I wasn't about to frog it lol! I increased & keep going. When it's done (it is one of those ongoing now & then projects), it may be a tad short in the middle but as big as it is, I don't think it will matter all that much. It's as long as my sofa!

The first scarf I made in Fun Fur, I kept missing stitches on the ends so it got skinnier and skinnier. As I got to the other end, I just added them back on, so it looked like I meant to do that. :blush

Then it ended up that just one strand Fun Fur scarves are really, really stretchy, so it got too long for my mom. So I ended up sewing two sides together and leaving a slot at the loop. My mom loves it that way. So it turned out right in the end.

Nowdays, I just make them on my Knifty Knitter - sooooo much easier to work with (especially using 3 strands of yarn: 2 Fun Fur and one worsted weight), much faster, and no dropped stitches! :D

I can't say my worst mistake was with my crocheting but rather, judging of size and not measuring the receivers first. I made 4 little girl ponchos without a pattern. I just guessed what I thought was the right size for all 4. They were giagantic on them all. Their mothers ended up wearing the ponchos and I had to make the 4 little girls smaller ponchos.

I think the worst mistake I've made (so far--I'm sure I'll make more) was making 1/2 a poncho and almost an entire shawl that were supposed to be in double crochet in a completely wrong "dc" that I don't think is even a stitch. I had a complete brain fart after working on a number of projects that were hdc's, trebles, and other less conventional stitches, and just completely flubbed the basic dc for weeks.

What I did was not a half dc and not a dc. It was a yo, insert hook in stitch, yo, draw through stitch AND 1 LOOP (instead of just pulling up loop through stitch), then yo and draw through remaining loops (instead of yo draw through 2 loops, twice). If what I did is in fact a stitch, please let me know :).

It took me a few weeks 'til trying to figure out why my stitches were so short and my gauge so far off, brought me back to reality. Jeez, did I feel like a complete dolt.

Lee

Great topic! My worst mistake??? Well, one year, soo long ago, I decided to make some slippers as Christmas gifts. I had never made slippers so I had to get the book, the yarn, BUT waited till the last minute to start. NOT a good thing to do. In my rush, I grabbed whatever needle, didn't even check the gauge and about half-way through I had the start of a slipper just the right size for King Kong! Needless to say, got a LITTLE frustrated and NO handmade gifts that year! heehee

Later,

"Z"

Several years ago, I made my Dad a surname doily in filet crochet. I hadn't really seen it much since I gave it to him. Now he keeps it on the headrest of his easy chair and I was looking at it this summer when I realized something: There are two P's in our Finnish-based name. On the doily, the straight part of them was supposed to consist of two rows of double crochets. In the second P, I'd left out one of those rows.

I laughed and showed my Dad. He laughed also and said, "Just tell people that the Finns have two ways of pronouncing P's and this is how they tell the difference."

Apparently, they do have two different pronunciations but no, they don't look different when written.

My sister has asked me to make the same doily for her and I just finished both P's tonight. Believe me, I made extra sure both of them "sounded" the same!

I can't think of a truly worst mistake that didn't get corrected or at least adjusted per se...my first shawl I crocheted back in high school turned out lovely, but I didn't understand gauge then and it was bigger than me when done...the first filet crochet project I did, some how I keep losing stitches, so it sort of had that hour glass look to it, but the "Bless Our Home" was presentable, so what did it really matter in the end...it's all a learning experience...

I crocheted a baby afghan; the crocheted part was fine. The big mistake came when I tried to cross stich on it. I did a square in each corner, whch were so-so (but very bad from the back). I never did the center figure of Eyeore, I kind of gave up. I did not like doing the cross stitching. I gave the white blanket with the pastel squares in the corners to my son's dog, a greyhound who is always cold.

Rosemary

• 3 years later...

I was going to make my yorkie puppy a purse, but it turned out i didnt have enough yarn, and couldnt remember where i got it. Insted of pulling it out, i finsihed it off, and sewed a button on (it was still a rectangle) so you could fasten it around her body between her legs. XD

Oh wow, in all these years I can't even begin to count them all. But the one that sticks out in my mind the most is my first quiltghan. I never bothered to weave in the ends while working each piece, and the ends were not long enough to use to sew the pieces together. After using seperate yarns to sew it together I still had tons of ends to weave in. It took a whole month to finally get it all together and free of tails.

That's not as bad as the fact that 2 years later I nearly did the same thing but caught myself about 1/3 of the way....

I actually find that I make more mistakes when sewing, and that's really rough to undo!!!

I make lots of mistakes because I like to crochet while watching TV but most of the time I get rid of the 'evidence' even if it means frogging to the beginning if the item is not big. Just recently I made a beret in dc (without a pattern)that apparently was too wide and after washed it softened and got too floppy, I could've just frogged enough to adjust the width but I went all the way to start over in sc, like the first one I made, but now I'm hating it so much I avoided working on it yesterday.

When I made my Eva's shawl I had lots of trouble and frogged a lot but there came a point in which it was counterproductive to frog so I just added stitches wherever necessary to compensate for those I'd skipped in previous rows but thank goodness once it was all done no one can tell where the mistakes are.

I would have to say my Waterfall afghan is my worst crocheting mistake. Apparently I forgot to add stitches at the last stich....so it got thinner and thinner as I went....oh well....*sigh*

Robin

Been there, done that!!! My first baby afghan!!

Well, there have been several. But the one that stands out the most for me . . . the very first afghan I ever crocheted was a ripple afghan. It was 13 up the hill, 3 in the center and 13 down the hill. Well, I didn't realize that on the downgoing hills on each end you had to still count 13. The darn thing just kept getting wider and wider and wider ... very embarrassing.

I don't think I've crocheted enough to have a "worst" yet but my first project was a train wreck. I picked a variagated yarn that had dark blue sections that were extremely hard to see. I also kept for getting to stitch in to the turning chain of the previous row so the scarf was 6 stitches shorter on one end than the other.

It took me about a week to finish the scarf because I'd do 20 rows before I noticed I was losing stitches and then frog back to the mistake. I only knew how to do a single crochet and not even how to increase to fix the missing stitch without frogging. After a few nights I just gave up and decided to keep going and finish it so I could move on to something else. I still lose stitches frequently, especially when I get distracted but usually I notice after a couple of rows. I'm actually really glad that I just kept going even though I knew it was messed up because I really love crocheting now.

My ugliest, worst mistake was when I decided that I was going to design my own sweater (I'd been crocheting a grand total of a month when I came up with this idea). :lol

I figured if I did two big rectangles for the front and back and then crocheted arms by crocheting rectangles that increased gradually on either side to the shoulders, and then sew everything together and have a sort of "boat neck" that I'd have an awesome sweater. I used Lion Brand Homespun and I had to keep going back to the store, because I completely underestimated how much I was going to need.

Oh, yes, and to top it all off, I figured since my bustline is 36" that's how wide around I'd need to make the sweater...

You guessed it...I ended up crocheting myself a corset. It was so tight that I could barely get it off again once I'd put it on.

It's still sitting in my closet on a shelf along with the Lion Brand "Flattering Jacket" -- another crocheting disaster. :lol

You guessed it...I ended up crocheting myself a corset. It was so tight that I could barely get it off again once I'd put it on.

:lol You know, I have a friend who would have loved that! She loves corsets. It would have been one of those 'disaster turned delightful' things! lol

I usually frog my big mistakes but for Christmas this year I made a poncho for my niece. I made the mistake of thinking that she was wider in the shoulders than she really is. It was pretty big on me, but I just knew that she was bigger than me...wrong! She said it falls off of her completely.

Guess what she gets for graduation this year? You guessed it...I'm fixing the poncho as soon as I get to her house!

Archived