JaneC

confused beginner who cant read a pattern!

Question

Hi,

I have just started to learn to crotchet but unfortunately I am not able to read my pattern!  Please can you help as I think once I understand what is required I will be able to enjoy my new experience.

I have completed the ring, but now I am unable to understand the next steps of the instruction :

Rnd 2 (dc1, dc2 into next st) 6 times (18)

Rnd 3 (dc2, dc2 into next st) 6 times (24)

Rnd 4 (dc3, dc2 into next st ) 6 times (30) etc.

Please can someone explain this in English for me please!

Thank you so much in advance.

Jane.

• Thanks 1

11 answers to this question

Your have a ring with 12 stitches.

Round Two. Double crochet into the first stitch, make two double crochet in the next stitch, (repeat this around the ring) 1 double crochet (dc) in 3rd stitch 2 dc in 4th stitch 1 dc in 5th stitch 2 dc in 6th, 1 dc in 7th, 2D in 8th, 1 dc in 9th, 2 dc in 10th, 1 dc in 11th stitch, 2 dc in last stitch which is a total of 18 stitches in the second round.

Welcome to the 'ville!

Sometimes patterns will give the total number of stitches in a row (typically rows with increases or decreases) as a recap at the end, like your pattern does (18 etc).  It's not telling you to do something, just a sanity check to make sure you ended up with the right number of stitches.  

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind replies.

Can I just check that rnd 3 and 4 means double crochet 2 times and repeat this til the end of that round and rnd 4 means double cricket 3 times in stitch one and then twice in 2nd stitch and repeat this pattern until the end of the round again?

Rnd 3 (dc2, dc2 into next at) 6 times (24)

Rnd 4 (dc3, dc2 into next st ) 6 times (30) etc.

It just seems I end up with more than the number indicated at the end, so I'm not sure if I also need to understand how the 6 times works as well?

Sorry, I hope to get my head round this with your very helpful explanations!

Jane x

Hi, welcome from me too :-)  

this is a kind of shorthand that some people are using in patterns now, which I personally think is confusing.  It does not mean what you asked if it meant.  What round 3 is trying to say is to dc once into each of the next 2 sts, then in the 3rd st you make 2 dc sts (this is the increase).  you repeat that sequence around, repeating it 6 times.  at the end you wil have 24 sts.

round 4 is make one dc in each of the next 3 sts, make 2 dc in the 4th st, and repeat that around, doing that sequence a total of 6 time.  at the end you wil have 30 sts.  

That now makes perfect sense thank you so much for all your help!

I am so glad I have found such lovely supportive people on crochetville!

So I'm having the same problem, I assume it's the same pattern in Edwards Menagerie book.

So rnd2 dc1,dc2 means double crochet into the first stitch and double crochet twice into the second stitch, dc into third and dc twice into 4th?

Rnd3 dc2,dc2 means double crochet 1st and 2nd stitch and double crochet twice into third stitch continuing around

Rnd4 dc3,dc2 means dc into the next 3 stitches and dc twice into the 4th and continue around?

Rnd5 dc4,dc2 means dc the next 4 stitches and dc twice into the 5th and continue this around

Rnd6, dc5,dc2 means dc the next 5 stitches and Dc twice into the 6th stitch and continue this around?

So confusing for a beginner! Thanks in advance!

I just answered a question on another thread on the use of the parenthesis, and realized this pattern is using () in an unorthodox way.  () is meant to do everything inside () into ONE STITCH.  That's not what is meant here.  Eek.  Your interpretation is correct.

The 'recipe' for making a flat circle, written more conventionally, in UK DC stitches, is:

Start with 6 stitches in a ring (6 total stitches made in this round)

2 stitches into every stitch around (12)

*2 DC into 1 stitch, 1 DC; repeat around (18)

*2 DC into 1 stitch, 2 DC; repeat around (24)

*2 DC into 1 stitch, 3 DC; repeat around (30)

*2 DC into 1 stitch, 4 DC; repeat around (36)

*2 DC into 1 stitch, 5 DC; repeat around (42)

See the pattern forming here?  Each round increases by the number of stitches you started with, and the gap between increases increases by 1 stitch each round.  

For UK triples, you typically start with 12, and increase by 12 each round.

Edited by Granny Square

Welcome to the 'ville!

The portion you wrote covers 5 stitches that will be worked into. 

The first 2 of the 5 are before the parenthesis "DC in each of next 2 sts"--just what it says, put 1 stitch into the first of those stitches, and 1 stitch into the following st.

The stuff in the parenthesis describes what to do over the next 3 stitches.  Into the first of those stitches put 2 DC, into the second stitch put 1 DC, into the third put 1 DC.

It would be more typical to see something like "DC in each of next 2 sts, ( 2 DC in next st,  DC in each of next 2 sts) x times", where you'd repeat only the stuff in ( ) x times.

It wouldn't let me post so I thought I would try this way I have a similar problem.

What does *1dc. In 2dc.,2dc. In next DC.

Very confusing can anyone help in more detail.

Many thanks

Hi Kelmd89, welcome to the 'ville!

Take a look at your other post, I've edited this one as my answer in the other post is more concise after seeing a bit more of the pattern wording!

Edited by Granny Square