totally discouraged

Beaglelady

Question

I bought Caron Simply Soft Eco in Blueberry Mist about 3 years ago (discontinued now).   Caught my eye because it's 20% recycled plastic bottles and the color.   Started it, got about 1/4 way through it only to put it on the back burner all this time.

It's working up nicely.   Pattern calls for 35 oz which is what I bought.  I"m down to 2 1/2 skeins, on row 67 of 123 plus the border to do and I know I"m not going to have enough yarn.   

Choices - frog it and find another pattern or work it  as far as I can.   Won't be much of a width for an afghan if I comes up short on yarn.

There are 5 stitch patterns, 4-7 rows each depending on the stitch.   Two rows of hdc between each panel, with each panel repeating 3 times.  

Any ideas anyone?  Should I frog or keep going? 

post-4753-0-94324900-1423319250_thumb.jpg

20 answers to this question

Thank you all!  Yes, it is pretty.  But I did more frogging on this than I would have cared to.   "Dot" panel didn't come out the greatest but I think it's because of the yarn.

Well....it's from  1993 Annie's Crochet Quilt & Afghan Club   "Textured Panels"

I can tell you this,  the panels are Basketweave; Pebble Stitch; Raise Dot; Slanted Shell and Shell.   There are two rows of HD in between.

Way back, I got her Annie's Crochet Club booklets, Annie's Pattern Club.  Then I started the Annie's Crochet Quilt & Afghan Club.  Got so far into that

to quit.    Only to find out 'some' of the patterns were already in the smaller booklets. 

granny Square....nice idea.   I get your drift.   Do a set of panels in the center with white, continue in blue. edge in white.

I think you're on to something.    :yes  

EDIT:   I re-worked the rows on paper.  I only need to rip out  @ 24 rows.   So I'm going to do one set of panels in blue,

a set in white, a set in blue and trim in white.

YEP!! Great I idea!

What if you found the same yarn in a different color, example white), and made stripes in the middle - wide white stripes, narrow blue to conserve the blue maybe - and called it a design feature?

You might need to rip back a little of what you've already done so the blue ends are the same number of rows, but you wouldn't need to rip the whole thing.

Crabby rat:  Never thought of using a different color for the border.   I've put it aside again for a short while.   Might just continue with it as I really don't feel like having to rip out about 5 skiens worth of yarn.

I wouldn't frog it.  I'd keep going as far as I could, decide if I wanted to get more yarn, and go from there.  Also, if you can find a complementary color for the border, you wouldn't need quite as much for the body of the afghan.  Beautiful work, by the way!!  :hug

Here's one skein:

http://westmichigancrafts.ecrater.com/p/4283670/caron-simply-soft-eco-yarn-5

Also, Existentialist on Ravelry has one skein for sale or trade. There are 37 skeins listed in stash, most marked "not for sale", but sometimes people will change their minds, so it's worth watching to see whether somebody re-tags theirs.

You're welcome!  I would hate to rip all that out if it were mine, then I would just have the yarn sitting there making me feel guilty and still not being enough to make a different afghan with, unless it was very lacy and stretched the yarn a lot lol

I think so - came up with nothing.   I hate to frog it - as it is pretty.    Though with Caron yarns being on the thinner side of other yarns - would have come out better if I had used regular sport or worsted weight.   

Thank you for the encouragement!!  

I think it is pretty, I like the color and the stitch paterns have such nice texture.  I would finish it as far as i could and just call it a skinny afghan.  

At the same time, did you look for the yarn on ebay or in the destash groups on ravelry?  Somebody might have some they want to get rid of.  Or of course there is the recycling section here, you could post there to see if anyone has some to sell or trade.  

Archived