2015 Moogly Afghan CAL

yarn_monkey

I just started this CAL last night so I'm a square behind, but I thought if anyone else was doing it we could share our progress and thoughts here! I'd love to see what everyone else is coming up with. 

Here is the link to the 2015 Moogly Afghan CAL.

I'm using RHSS in Turqua, RHSS White, and Bernat SuperValue in Soft Gray. 

A little basic info... It's a year-long CAL. It's one 12" square every 2 weeks in as many or as few colors as you want. At the end we'll put it all together and share what we've come up with! All details and links to the squares are at the link above. 

I hope if anyone is interested in it, you'll join here and we can work together on our ghans!  :)

I thought it would be helpful if I listed links to each block on her blog, so... 

*Blocks*

January 8 - Intro & Block 1 

January 22 - Block 2

February 5 - Block 3

February 19 - Block 4

March 5 - Block 5

March 19 - Block 6

April 2 - Block 7

April 16 - Block 8

April 30 - Block 9

May 14 - Block 10

May 28 - Block 11

June 11 - Block 12

June 25 - Block 13

July 9 - Block 14

July 23 - Block 15

August 6 - Block 16

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love your colors! What yarn are you using? Have you decided whether you'll join as you go or will you wait until the end and then figure out how you want them arranged first?

I'm using Lion Brand Vanna's Choice yarn. I have a project page on Ravelry with all the info and the colors. I'm going to wait to join at the end, but I'm bordering each square the same with the same number of stitches as I go along. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to slip stitch them together in the end. 

I just finished my first square! Now I have at least a million ends to weave in!  :lol  As soon as I get them all done, I'll post a picture. 

I can't decide whether to join as I go or wait... If I join as I go, I may not like the final layout. If I wait, I could drive myself crazy trying to figure it out.  :reyes  Decisions, decisions! I am ending each square with an extra sc round of the turqua to tie it all together. 

I'm using black as my connecting color. The reason I'm not connecting as I go is because I don't know the final number of blocks I will end up with. There may be squares that I don't like and don't end up doing. I figured it would be better to wait. 

I love the blocks and would love to do them but I'm not a fan of sampler ghans. I have no talent for drawing together random parts.

I would like to join in just for the blocks but I expect to use ea block separately for some ghan or shawl.  is that ok by y'all?

I think I have the 2 squares saved to my Moogly 2015 folder.  will need to take a look.

That's fine with me darski! We'd love to have you either way you want to do it!  :yes  

I've got 2 rounds left on the second square so I should have that finished and ready to share tonight. It would've gotten done last night but we were out late at my cousin's for a Super Bowl party.  :)

Three more days to square 3 and I'll be ready! 

Finished square 2! All these ends are gonna be the death of me. I have a whole stack of hot pads I need to weave ends in on... Yeah they've been waiting for weeks!  :lol  I'll get to them eventually! 

post-11765-0-61843000-1422936291_thumb.jpg

I would have loved to do this but am still trying to increase my yarn stash and I'm not entirely sureni am ready to crochet anything that looks that difficult,,. I am however watching this thread so I. Can see the lovely finished projects at the end of the year. The squares so far are gorgeous….

Nikki and Randi, your squares are so pretty!  I'll have to pick some colors and join in.  I think it would be fun and being in a group would help keep me motivated.  

I plan to join mine at the end rather than as I go.

Nikki, have you tried working your ends in as you go?  That's what I generally do and it's so nice to only have the last end to weave in.   I usually just crochet over the end if it's a different color.  If I'm using variegated and it will blend, then I crochet it in.   I saw a video on how to do it which was really good although I had already been doing that before I saw the video.  

I would have loved to do this but am still trying to increase my yarn stash and I'm not entirely sureni am ready to crochet anything that looks that difficult,,. I am however watching this thread so I. Can see the lovely finished projects at the end of the year. The squares so far are gorgeous….

She has a link posted for 12 more squares that she said can be used as substitutions if anyone was worried the squares she had selected were too advanced. I can't blame you for holding off so you can increase your stash though! They would be good squares for the Birthday Bash though, for people who want 12". Here's the link to her alternative squares

Nikki and Randi, your squares are so pretty!  I'll have to pick some colors and join in.  I think it would be fun and being in a group would help keep me motivated.  

I plan to join mine at the end rather than as I go.

Nikki, have you tried working your ends in as you go?  That's what I generally do and it's so nice to only have the last end to weave in.   I usually just crochet over the end if it's a different color.  If I'm using variegated and it will blend, then I crochet it in.   I saw a video on how to do it which was really good although I had already been doing that before I saw the video.  

I usually crochet over my tails as I get to them, but I leave a couple inches so I can work it back in the opposite direction. I was just crocheting over them and leaving it but they seemed to always be coming back out. I'll take any tips I can get if you can find the video again.

14 hours till the next square is posted! Not that I'm counting or anything.  :D

Archived