Variegated yarn patterns

norwinmom

Question

What are some of your favorite types of patterns or projects for variegated yarn?  I have several skeins that were given to me and I really love the color combination, but I have a hard time figuring out what the make with it.  

7 answers to this question

Hats, scarves, baby/children's sweaters, mittens, yarn totes, tablet covers/jackets, throws. Oh and some toys. If cotton ,then I suggest potholders and dishcloths.

WOW!  That is one gorgeous afghan!  I've made granny square afghans with my variegated yarns, but I think this pattern has them beat!  Really breathtaking!  

I have done scarves, hats and afghans with variegated. But on my afghans, I tend to stripe them using solid in between. I also do granny squares and join them as I go with a solid color. I prefer not doing an entire afghan in variegated since sometimes the pattern of the yarn is not consistent when you join the next skein. I know if you match the end of one skein with the same color from the joining skein, it should be the same but not always and that drives me nuts, LOL!!.

Have fun with variegated, there are so many cool colorways to choose.

Roe

I agree that variegated looks better in smaller doses, spaced between solids.  Either pick solid(s) that match a color of the variegated, or a contrast like that stunning black striped ripple.  And a simple stitch pattern, variegated just does not look good in lace.

Archived