Foundation single crochet is the devil

Maryeah Kramer

Question

10 answers to this question

walk away for a while and come back later. lol sorry, don't have any better advice then don't give up. I tried forever and finally learned the foundation half double crochet. after that, the sc was a lot easier. ;) 

but your topic headline had me laughing... yep, I know what she means. lol  :devil

Well, there are few situations where a regular old fashioned chain, turn and sc won't do.  

I'm sort of with you, I can do it foundation stitches but I don't like the way they look versus the 'regular' ones and try to avoid them.

Don't give up completely, but I agree with Sopo to walk away and come back later.  I find often (not just with crochet, but learning any new thing) after putting it away, my brain works it out in the background and it makes more sense when I come back to it the next day.

The only time I use foundation stitches is when I have to make a stitch 'into the air', example in shaped filet doilies, adding stitches to the end of a row.  

Sometimes designers call our foundation stitches when they want the stitches to be loose, like for a neckline.  You could just do the first row using regular stitches in a bigger hook to get around that.

Hang in there!

see if your local library has the book Best of Interweave Crochet.  there is an article by Marty Miller that makes it easy to understand....as easy as I've ever seen it explained anyhow!  that article is how i learned it.  

I LOVE the foundation stitches!  I use them almost exclusively on my lapghans and prayer shawls, fingerless gloves, scarves--anything I can!  I struggled for several weeks before I actually caught on how to make them, but I won't go back to chain foundation stitches, if I don't absolutely HAVE to!  :no  ;) 

I don't use the foundation chain for anything, I find it easier for me just to chain whatever I need and go from there. I've tried it and it doesn't work for me so I go back to my way. And not all patterns use it anyway so I have to chain. When you've chained for over 50 years (oh no, LOL), you get used to it. At least I did.

Same thing with diagrams, prefer a written pattern. 

Roe

Roe, I couldn't agree with you more.  After using the basic chain for more than 50 years, I have difficulty making a change.  I also learned to read patterns and prefer not to use the diagrams.  I can read them, but it really slows me down and takes so much more concentration.  So as long as I have the written pattern, that's what I'll use.  My daughter crochets and recently made a cowl from chunky yarn and used the foundation stitch.  She seems to like it.  Generational preferences, I guess.!!!

My daughter crochets and recently made a cowl from chunky yarn and used the foundation stitch.  She seems to like it.  Generational preferences, I guess.!!!

Nah!  I'm 70 1/2 and I love the foundation stitch!  Just personal preference, me thinks!

Archived