2 Half Doubles

dangie

Question

Hello, I am new to reading patterns, as my grandmother usually helps me along but I am trying to learn on my own now.

My pattern says 

1 hdc, [(2 hdc)] 2 times, 1 hdc. (6sts)

I am unsure what the difference is with the 2 hdc does this mean 2 half double crochet together?

Sorry if this sounds dumb, trying to learn ! :)

7 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!

just that bit of the pattern does appear confusing.  i would guess that you are to do 2 hdc into one stitch, twice.  if it meant to do 2 hdc2tog, it should have said that.   How many stitches did you have on the previous row?    What is the name and location of the pattern?  

Okay, thats what I was thinking but I wasn't sure and didn't want to go forward and mess up. The previous row had 2 stitches.  I am doing a "Pizza Scarf" from a book by Twinkie Chan.

I tend to agree with magiccrochetfan that it is doing 2hdc in the next two stitches each, and you will have six stitches at the end of the row. it would be 1hdc, 2hdc, 2hdc, 1hdc, added up comes to six. 

Roe

if you only had 2 sts in the previous row/round, then I am not sure where you are to put all of the sts in this row/round, but it probably doesn't matter as long as you have the right count (and even that is probably not absolute as long as you get the general shape).  

However, are you certain you didn't skip a round?  this round would make more sense if there were 4 sts in the last round.  

Look in the front and back of the book to see if there is guidance as to what the [( )] parentheses mean and on general shaping.  

As magiccrochetfan says, there should be a 'legend' on your pattern somewhere, explaining what the parenthesis means.

Also, if you complete a row as you think it should be, or as you understand it to be, and you end up with the correct stitch count,

then it would appear that you are in fact working out the instructions properly.

Emi (HECTANOOGA1 ON YOUTUBE:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hectanooga1)

Archived