How Do You Motivate Yourself When You Are Down in the Dumps?

Have you ever found yourself feeling sad and depressed and not able to crochet?  Crochet was (or is) my passion and I have just not been able to make myself pick up yarn or hook.  I have a blanket that I started for my newest grandson and haven't finished, and I even have a hat here for my older grandson that only needed a slight repair.  It's sitting here on the couch next to me, untouched.

I am seeing a medical professional who is making adjustments to medication for me, but I so want to be able to take this time, now that I'm not working any more, to live my dream and crochet all those wonderful things I've seen and put on a to-do list. 

Is there anything you do to make you want to crochet again?  Or do you have to ride this feeling out?  :cry

Sorry to hear you've been down. I have times that I have to lay the hook down and walk away but normally, I can go through ravelry and look at new patterns that make me get the itch to try one out. I have so many tagged will never get through them but generally sparks enough interest, I pick the hook back up. That and sending an RAOK to someone else that is down and not expecting it. It's my way of giving a smile to someone else and normally, that helps me to feel better as well. 

I've had some depressing days lately as well, so know what you are going through. I'll say a prayer for you. 

I sometimes have to walk away and do other things that interest me in order to even look at a crochet pattern or hook again.  I went through a period where I read a ton of fiction and never even looked at a crochet hook or anything yarn related.  I found reading distracted me and helped me get through some tough times.  Eventually, the desire came back and I started making things again.

I don't think you can force it, I think it just is something you work through and hopefully you will find that interest again.  I wish you the best as you walk this path and hope you do find the peace and comfort you need to get back to the things you love doing.

Sometimes you just have to cut yourself some slack and take a break.  Like sopo working on a RAOK and sending it out does wonders for cheering me up and keeping me going.  sopo and I also participate in the granny square/friendshipghan/comfortghan cal and that keeps me motivated.  I may slack off but when the new month rolls around I know its time to make at least one square to mail off to someone in our group.  I have crocheted off and on throughout the years and this is the longest time I have kept at it.  

If I am feeling really stressed or sad, i can't do any handwork.  I  might force myself to pick up a project, but I won't be able to work on it for long.  

Generally I am really bad about procrastinating on sewing on buttons or doing repairs---I don't know what it is about those relatively small tasks, but they just aren't fun!  

Sometimes if I merely lose interest in current projects, it helps if i start something small and fun like doll clothes in a cheerful color, or a scarf for donation in a new to me yarn or a favorite color, or even a dishcloth in a color I like.  Doing a crochet-along could be a way to get your crochet energy back, seeing others' posts and posting your own progress, is fun.  

I don't know if you mean you are taking meds that have a side effect of depression, or that you are taking meds for depression, but either way, I hope the med adjustments help and that your sad feelings are better soon!  I've had a couple of hypertension meds that really messed with my mood, and had to find alternatives.  

a dry spell huh, well, this too shall pass... I think everyone has those, I know I have been through a few as well, where I just could not think of any project I felt like doing, and to complicate matters more, couldn't think of what to do with it, once it was done anyway, but a raok is  a great distraction, as it making something to give away, either to the hospital, the shelter, the nursing home, etc, that usually makes me feel better, but we all have those times, i guess it is just a crochet glitch, lol, hang in there, and if you feel up to it one day soon, stop in and see us on the granny square birthday bash too, making and sending squares to people each month, usually perks me right up!!

also, changing up the "fiber" like switching to baby yarn, or homespun, or cotton, and making something small, just some new yarn you never used yet, change up the material, helps me sometimes. ..

So sorry you are having a rough time. If the WIPS you have going aren't doing anything for it then just put them aside. Find something fun or new or different to work on til you get over the hump. Maybe treat yourself and splurge on some luxury yarn that you normally wouldn't buy. Maybe some super wonderful yarn will inspire you. If all else fails, take a break for a few days. Don't force yourself. Everyone has different ways of dealing with depression. For some people crochet might help a lot, for you maybe not. Whatever helps YOU is the right thing to do regardless of what helps others. Don't forget to give yourself a break and don't be too hard on yourself. Remember that even if you can't accomplish what you want to during this time don't sweat it. It is just temporary. You WILL get over this and be yourself again soon. Just hang in there. 

Happy New Year, Yarnjeannie!!!:)

Keep yourself busy doing something else you find enjoyable. At some point you may feel the urge to pick up your crochet again but if not- don't beat yourself up about it.

Play some fun, happy music to help you feel happy when you are doing stuff around the house. In fact, help teach your grandson to play the recorder or keyboard. If you can't read music then you and he can learn together. It may be a wonderful pastime for you. Me and my children all play an instrument and playing music or listening is a great outlet to cure depression for anyone.

I always put my hook down and pick up a book, something that will make me laugh.  Sending a RAOK to some one also helps.  It is something we all go thru, especially after the Christmas rush of getting every thing done.

I put my hook down  for about a week from Christmas till after New Years.  I was just so tired and did not feel like doing anything, and figured why bother, I only have one person in the family who likes my homemade stuff.  Then I sent out the tote and I read all the post of those trying to figure out who and it makes me laugh and when the tote gets where it is suppose to, my spirits are up and ready to pick up the hook again.

I found the worse thing is to sit and look at or think about what you want or need to do.  Take a vacation from crochet and do something different and before you know it, that hook will jump right into your hand.

I have a lot of depression too so I know what you mean. A lot of my meds cause tiredness, so that doesn't help any. One thing I do is nap when I need to and get my "night" sleep when I need to, even if it's during the day. I am essentially a night person anyway, so if I don't have to be somewhere, what does it matter when I sleep? This helps me, but bothers other people A LOT. I've been told I'm everything from weird to lazy by people who want me to keep a "normal" schedule. I no longer care what they think, and do what works for me.

Aside from taking meds, I make sure to take vitamins. A lot of times when I'm depressed, I don't want to eat much, so I know I can't be getting enough vitamins and minerals in me. For years I haven't been able to take minerals because they would give me stomach aches, like they were just setting there like rocks and not digesting. It finally occurred to me that there are vitamins and minerals in suspension because there's liquid baby vitamins. Ah-hah! So, I asked the Pharmacist about this (a couple years ago) and I was told that no one made liquid vitamins for adults. Since then, I did find liquid vitamins for adults at Kinney Drugs now. I was so thrilled to find them, I haven't looked elsewhere, but I'll bet they are available other places. These have kind of a berry / prune flavor, not bad really.

When I have felt that I'm even losing interest in my crochet, I take a little break from it and focus on other crochet related things:

I do more cruising looking at new patterns. Sometimes I've wanted to check out sites more extensively and never got back to it, so this is a good time to do it. Something new can be an inspiration, even if it is small.

My collection of free patterns is huge, so I sort through the ones I already have and look at them with more "reality" in mind than I had when I picked them up, ha, ha, ha! Oh yeah. Every now and then I have to look at these patterns with "Will I ever REALLY make this?" in mind. Quite a few patterns end up being deleted, and I end up feeling so much more organized.

When I pick up my hook again, even though I have many unfinished projects, I start a new one ~ small ~ usually a bathcloth, which most of the time is actually a dishcloth pattern. I have lots of dishcloth patterns I want to try, but I discovered I don't really like the thickness for doing dishes. On the other hand, I adore using them for bathcloths ~ they're scrubby enough, yet soft at the same time. I keep making bathcloths to match my towels in various colors, but I end up giving most of them away as gifts, so I get to make more and more!

I love seeing a new bathcloth all made. They are pretty and functional. They don't take much yarn, don't take long to make, can be bright or sudued, and there's such a huge variety of patterns that you never need to repeat yourself if you don't want to. Also I've never needed to buy new cotton to make them. I keep all my leftover cotton from other projects, and it's perfect for bathcloths. Right now, with the leftovers I have on hand, I estimate I could make 2 dozen cloths easily.

So, that's what I do. It's a new year, and I am trying to find something each day to be joyful about.

Paryer shawls are always a nice thing to crochet when I am feeling "down." Whether I cuddle up with it myself when I am done, or give it to someone that I know is struggling, prayer shawls always manage to lift my spirits!

Check out our latest collection of 7 free crochet prayer shawls here: http://www.allfreecrochet.com/Prayer-Shawls/Free-Crochet-Prayer-Shawls-free-ebook

Jenny, AllFreeCrochet editor

---

http://www.allfreecrochet.com/

http://stitchandunwind.com/

Maybe I am in a grumpy mood today, but your post looks a lot more like an ad than a genuine response to the thread.  

Kathy, I've noticed that, all of a sudden,  freecrochet has a lot of free patterns on here, but they aren't trying to sell anything, so I guess they're trying to help us.  ???  Obviously, they (someone) was reading the thread about depression, and just tried to be helpful.

What makes me crochet even more (guess I am an exception but that has been the story of my life, LOL) is when I am feeling a little down, for whatever reason. Since I do a lot for charity (and some personal gifts) that is my motivation to continue crocheting.

Roe

Roe, I think there are a lot of people who crochet when they are down or stressed; there is a book called (I think) Crochet Saved My Life with stories of people that feel crochet helped them cope.  

I have also found that doing something else helps. My first love has always been sewing but if I am depressed I can't do it at all. I tend to rotate sewing, crochet and cross-stitch and as some other people here have said, sometimes all I can do is start reading and forget any kind of stitching.

Kathy, I've noticed that, all of a sudden,  freecrochet has a lot of free patterns on here, but they aren't trying to sell anything, so I guess they're trying to help us.  ???  Obviously, they (someone) was reading the thread about depression, and just tried to be helpful.

I guess the admins can decide if these are ads or not.  Actually, I did look at some of the patterns listed since they are free.

Thank you so much to all of you for your input.  I have been to my doctor and he is changing my medications.  I actually feel a tiny bit better today.  You all have been very helpful - I feel I'm not the only one who gets down in the dumps.  It must be this time of year.  I hear that holidays are bad for a lot of people.

Thank you again! 

Thank you so much to all of you for your input.  I have been to my doctor and he is changing my medications.  I actually feel a tiny bit better today.  You all have been very helpful - I feel I'm not the only one who gets down in the dumps.  It must be this time of year.  I hear that holidays are bad for a lot of people.

Thank you again! 

Glad you are feeling a bit better. January is a hard month. You have all the hustle and bustle and excitement of the holidays and then in January it's all over and it's kind of a let down and you have to try to get back to normal routine. Plus in the winter, you're cooped up inside more and get less sunlight and that can affect your mood. 

Archived