Is it worth it?

sopo

I have 4 skeins of Bernat Alpaca Natural Blends in ebony that I bought off someone here at the ville. Love it and have been hiding it for something special. lol I normally  use Red Heart as it's easy to get here... sometimes getting HL yarn or something similar. 

I am wanting to make the crocodile cardigan Angel posted and was thinking of trying to find more of the Alpaca but it's so darn expensive and I would need a lot more of it. Is it worth it or should I just go with HL I love that yarn? 

Only you know your budget and how much you are comfortable spending for yarn.  I will say in general, i do find there is a correlation between price and quality---not always, but usually more expensive yarn has some quality that makes it more desirable than cheaper yarn for certain projects.  

Crocodile stitch is famous for using a lot of yarn, so this might not be the best pattern for yarn that you feel is costly.  

I've never seen the yarn you are asking about, but some other Bernat yarns I've used seemed flimsy to me and did not wear especially well.  That may not be relevant to this particluar yarn though.

Some people have a sensitivity to alpaca yarn, so if you haven't worn alpaca before, make sure you are not sensitive to it.  You could loop some around your neck and wear it for several hours.   alpaca feels great to my hands but it irritates my neck so I can't use it for garments.  

Ok so this is the pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crocodile-stitch-cardigan    This is the yarn http://www.yarnspirations.com/alpaca.html

I notice the pattern is written for worsted and the yarn is a bulky weight, so you will need to adjust for the different gauge that the bulky will work to.

Have you made anything with the alpaca yet?  I would swatch a bit with it and do the hand wash/dry flat to see how it turns out.   

Thank you for bringing up several points I hadn't thought of. :)  Didn't really have the extra $$ for 10 skeins of it anyway lol but especially with the points you made. Think I'll try it first time in I love that yarn or red heart love. 

Archived