Annies Crochet & Knit Patterns

No, you are not the only one.  I also agree with greyhoundgrandma, they should not cost as much since you do have to print them out, some have a lot of pages.  You don't have to print them out of course but I prefer to since I don't crochet at my computer.  I think it is okay if it is an older out of print pattern.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to long ago I bought a book pattern. Just a few patterns there, only one or two that I like. That was not available for download.

I was charged for shipping more than for that book. I was not very happy about that.

So, in a way we do get a "discount's" on those downloads because we are not paying for shipping.

Krys

Also if you search you sometimes find the original owner/publisher of the pattern never made a print copy.  I buy from a number of the original designers that end up on Annie's.  Some still go old school with the hard copies, but a number don't do anything but sell e-patterns.  So, Annie's follows the designer.

I am thrilled they are starting to bring back their out of print stuff even if it is only available as e-patterns.  Mary Maxim is doing that too, although their patterns are much cheaper.

As someone said the cost of shipping does make the e-pattern cheaper.  The downside is you can't sell it when you are done with it legally.  You don't really own the e-patterns.

Yes, that is thru about not being able to re-sell e-pattern. But, most likely those book-patterns would not be sold for much more that those paid shipping charges. So, we are back to "square one", not getting our money back for those pattern one way or another LOL. Lately those shipping charges went-up a lot..

And don't forget, that trying to sell those books it is time consuming process even on Ebay or Etsy or other places... You need to take a picture and  type the info and do whatever else needs to be done there. I think Ebay is charging that seller a fee for that (I am not sure about that). And IF that book will get sold you need you need to pack that up, type the address label and get that to post office or call them to pick that up. And on the end maybe deal with unhappy costumer for one reason or another. Some people they are never satisfied..

I donate my used pattern books to Salvation Army. That is very easy I just drop that of in there "bin" on my way to grocery store. Right now most of my patterns I am getting they are download's and I like it that way. Fast delivery, no shipping charges and no growing clutter at home.

Krys

PS: I have a back up system. I will not loose anything even if my computer goes bad.

Yes, that is thru about not being able to re-sell e-pattern. But, most likely those book-patterns would not be sold for much more that those paid shipping charges. So, we are back to "square one", not getting our money back for those pattern one way or another LOL. Lately those shipping charges went-up a lot..

And don't forget, that trying to sell those books it is time consuming process even on Ebay or Etsy or other places... You need to take a picture and  type the info and do whatever else needs to be done there. I think Ebay is charging that seller a fee for that (I am not sure about that). And IF that book will get sold you need you need to pack that up, type the address label and get that to post office or call them to pick that up. And on the end maybe deal with unhappy costumer for one reason or another. Some people they are never satisfied..

I donate my used pattern books to Salvation Army. That is very easy I just drop that of in there "bin" on my way to grocery store. Right now most of my patterns I am getting they are download's and I like it that way. Fast delivery, no shipping charges and no growing clutter at home.

Krys

PS: I have a back up system. I will not loose anything even if my computer goes bad.

You'd be surprised.  One of the reasons I'm so grateful that they are starting to reissue some of these patterns is some of these books are incredibly expensive in the used market because they are hard to find.  I've seen crochet doll clothes pattern books go for $25 and up because they've been out of print for a long time and the buyer can set the price.  Having access to e-patterns will hopefully bring down the price of those hard copies for those who prefer a hard copy.  Not something all of us are going to do, but it is nice to know I could sell if I wanted to, I know my digital patterns are worth nothing legally.

I've also been glad to see Annie's releasing the DVD's of their patterns and magazines.  I found a doll cradle pattern that it took me ages to find a hard copy version at an affordable price on the recent doll DVD.  It is easy to keep track of on the DVD and much cheaper than what I've been seeing online.  It also gives me an easy way to store it.  I have the first Crochet World DVD and want to get the second one along with the Afghan one.  I am so hopeful they go all the way back with Crochet World to the beginning issues and so hoping they'll eventually release the Annie's magazines on DVD.  I've spent ages collecting them, but still can't find all the back issues.  They've retained and increased value over the years. :yes

USpolishgirl ~ since you are fairly close to me, I would LOVE to know which Salavation Army you are dropping off at and when!  :lol 

I can't speak for the Salvation Army, but Goodwill is starting to sell some of their books online to get better prices.

You'd be surprised.  One of the reasons I'm so grateful that they are starting to reissue some of these patterns is some of these books are incredibly expensive in the used market because they are hard to find.  I've seen crochet doll clothes pattern books go for $25 and up because they've been out of print for a long time and the buyer can set the price.  Having access to e-patterns will hopefully bring down the price of those hard copies for those who prefer a hard copy.  Not something all of us are going to do, but it is nice to know I could sell if I wanted to, I know my digital patterns are worth nothing legally.

I've also been glad to see Annie's releasing the DVD's of their patterns and magazines.  I found a doll cradle pattern that it took me ages to find a hard copy version at an affordable price on the recent doll DVD.  It is easy to keep track of on the DVD and much cheaper than what I've been seeing online.  It also gives me an easy way to store it.  I have the first Crochet World DVD and want to get the second one along with the Afghan one.  I am so hopeful they go all the way back with Crochet World to the beginning issues and so hoping they'll eventually release the Annie's magazines on DVD.  I've spent ages collecting them, but still can't find all the back issues.  They've retained and increased value over the years. :yes

Obviously you are in to that and you like to hold on to that for years.

Good for you.

Krys

USpolishgirl ~ since you are fairly close to me, I would LOVE to know which Salavation Army you are dropping off at and when!  :lol 

If you are living in Indiana that probably would not be a good idea to drive that far, just to drop of donations. There must be at least few of those much closer to you, even when you cross the IL border.

You should go on Internet and I am sure you will find the closest place to you.

Krys

I misunderstood that post.

Kitty I will let you know the next date of my donation as soon as I will know LOL

You should been here in front of my house last year. I had a dumpster full of stuff! :). I was just trying to get rid of everyone else STUFF. Long time ago my daughter & then my son went awey to school. Well they never pick-up all their stuff. Last spring I got tired of keeping all their stuff here I told both of them that they need come andt pick-up ALL their stuff by the end of August. They told me thay will. I told them if they will not do that I will rent a dumpster in the begining of septemer and everything will go there. I guess they did not believed me.

But I done what I said!. I kept my word LOL.

They probably thought that I am obligated to keep there stuff for ever!. Even over 15 years was not enough time for them. Or my last year request when I give them another 4 months time to do that.

My son he is still angry at me for that. O well, I can live with that! LOL

Krys

I forgot to mention. After that I sent them a bill! :) For that dumpster (that I had to pay for). And I got two guys to carry all that stuff to that dumpster. I had to pay them for that.

They had a lot of stuff here, their bedrooms were full and couple rooms downstairs. That included their entretaiment systems with speakers. I just thought it was a time to reclaime all those rooms in my house! :).

Both of my kids live in differant states.

Krys

Archived