Hi!  I stumbled upon this site just today (while looking up info on some "mystery yarn" from Big Lots), but I'm glad I found it.  I've been crocheting since I was a teenager (many years ago), but only got really actively crocheting again about 1 1/2 years ago (after one of my sons, an autistic young man, died of a seizure).  I've since accumulated more yarn than I can use on projects for just the family, so I do a lot of charity crochet (especially for Project Linus and Snuggles Project).  Because so much of what I do is charity crochet, of necessity most of my stash runs to machine-washable acrylic yarns.  I tend to make a lot of granny-square projects -- but at least don't attempt to use granny squares for everything, the way it seemed to be when I was learning to make granny squares back in the 1970s.   :lol 

I live in a small town in central Illinois, and can buy a little yarn locally, but have to drive (or order online) for most stuff.  Looking forward to meeting other crocheters here!

Hello and welcome to Crochetville:).

I am very sorry to hear about loss of your son. That must be very hard on you. I can't even imagine going thru anything horrible like that:(. You are doing the right thing by crocheting more at this time, it is very therapeutic.

Krys

Hi! :welcome I live out in the country, in the middle of nowhere so I buy most of my yarn online. I just hate waiting for it to get to me! Crocheting is very therapeutic, and it feels good to crochet for charity. 

Hi! :welcome I live out in the country, in the middle of nowhere so I buy most of my yarn online. I just hate waiting for it to get to me! Crocheting is very therapeutic, and it feels good to crochet for charity. 

I tend to order more often from vendors who ship to me quickly.  For example, the Spinrite Yarn Factory Outlet's e-tent has faster shipping to the US than many US vendors, even though they're located in Canada.  I have an Amazon Prime membership, so I can get 2-day shipping from them (although I need to comparison-shop carefully there, as not everything is competitively priced compared to other craft vendors); I also have a Club O membership and earn Overstock.com store credit by completing Overstock Voice surveys, so I occasionally buy yarn there (wouldn't buy it without the store credit, though, as the yarn is often pricey there).  Mary Maxim's standard shipping isn't too bad (I ordered a couple of "mystery boxes" from them last year on 12/18, and received them in time for Christmas), and Paradise Fibers has fairly speedy shipping from the West Coast (so I use them when I need really nice yarn for a yarn swap and can't make a road trip to the nearest LYS).  There are other vendors I've ordered from online, but those mentioned above have been the fastest shippers to my location.

I tend to order more often from vendors who ship to me quickly.  For example, the Spinrite Yarn Factory Outlet's e-tent has faster shipping to the US than many US vendors, even though they're located in Canada.  I have an Amazon Prime membership, so I can get 2-day shipping from them (although I need to comparison-shop carefully there, as not everything is competitively priced compared to other craft vendors); I also have a Club O membership and earn Overstock.com store credit by completing Overstock Voice surveys, so I occasionally buy yarn there (wouldn't buy it without the store credit, though, as the yarn is often pricey there).  Mary Maxim's standard shipping isn't too bad (I ordered a couple of "mystery boxes" from them last year on 12/18, and received them in time for Christmas), and Paradise Fibers has fairly speedy shipping from the West Coast (so I use them when I need really nice yarn for a yarn swap and can't make a road trip to the nearest LYS).  There are other vendors I've ordered from online, but those mentioned above have been the fastest shippers to my location.

Thanks for the suggestions. I usually order from knitting-warehouse.com because they have a huge selection but they are super slow sometimes. 

Archived