Boxing Day CAL 2015 (charity items!)

babypoohsmom

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the look of the Divine hat. The gal I follow on you tube works that pattern a lot.

I never thought of a wrap that was a bit shorter than normal so it won't get caught in the wheels of a wheelchair. Very clever and of course you have already made two!! Very pretty.

This project got rid of some yarn that has been hanging out far too long.

American Girl Sock Yarn Dress and Shawl

oooh, I missed this post.  what a pretty set. great colouration in that yarn.  I should buy some and just see if I can work it.  where is it on a scale from crochet cotton to sport weight?

I finished my WUA afghan!  :yay   I'm going to try and finish a second one using up some of my stash!

Very pretty afghan.

I love the cheery nature of this variegated yarn and decided to try a Divine hat.  It is so pretty.  Pics just can't show it's wonder :manyheart

attachicon.gifdivine1.jpg

That is a very fun hat.

A Wheel Chair Wrap is a shawl pattern that works well for wheel chair use. 

It was discovered (posted) by another Darlene :wlol in my shawl CAL

It is a very adaptable pattern and you can get some very pretty effects with stitches etc.

attachicon.gifwrap002.jpgattachicon.gif2wrap001.jpg

Those are very pretty shawls.

Hi all, my aunt is in town from the Chicago area and is just loving the weather here. It's been in the 80's all week. Tomorrow it's going to "cool down" into the 70's. We are working on quilts for two new great grandchildren she has on the way.

But this week I did finish up two more hats. Both yarns were someone's cast offs. I still have some of the variegated left. I made a hat out of that last week as well, so there was actually quite a bit. I have just a few yards of the blue, so it's headed to the cat mat bin.

post-13802-0-73511900-1423976286_thumb.jpgpost-13802-0-09405700-1423976299_thumb.jpg

Hi all, my aunt is in town from the Chicago area and is just loving the weather here. It's been in the 80's all week. Tomorrow it's going to "cool down" into the 70's. We are working on quilts for two new great grandchildren she has on the way.

But this week I did finish up two more hats. Both yarns were someone's cast offs. I still have some of the variegated left. I made a hat out of that last week as well, so there was actually quite a bit. I have just a few yards of the blue, so it's headed to the cat mat bin.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Those are nice.

I have been doing hats just to use up leftover yarn bits.  I am going to miss this particular yarn: it is a Bernat worsted and this is the last of it.  I actually have another half a hat that needs a new colour for the finish :rofl

the second hat uses another of the shell patterns from my  280 Crochet Shell Stitches book.

attachicon.gifha01.jpgattachicon.gifha02.jpg

I think I will write up the pattern for the 2nd hat.  Love that stitch; it looks better in person.

attachicon.gifha03.jpg

Both hats are very pretty. I really like the one on the mannequin.

I finished my WUA afghan!  :yay   I'm going to try and finish a second one using up some of my stash!

Nice afghan.

I love the cheery nature of this variegated yarn and decided to try a Divine hat.  It is so pretty.  Pics just can't show it's wonder :manyheart

attachicon.gifdivine1.jpg

Very nice.

A Wheel Chair Wrap is a shawl pattern that works well for wheel chair use. 

It was discovered (posted) by another Darlene :wlol in my shawl CAL

It is a very adaptable pattern and you can get some very pretty effects with stitches etc.

attachicon.gifwrap002.jpgattachicon.gif2wrap001.jpg

Nice shawls. They look perfect for wheel chair users. Just the right length.

The hats are nice....jealous of your weather too it's been right around 0 here for the last three days.

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing well. I made this hat this week. I am making another one to keep for my craft show this fall. I like the way it turned out and I have enough scraps for one more. Still need to work up some scarves.

post-13802-0-46827000-1424577265_thumb.jpgpost-13802-0-00886300-1424577284_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing well. I made this hat this week. I am making another one to keep for my craft show this fall. I like the way it turned out and I have enough scraps for one more. Still need to work up some scarves.

That is very nice.

Hi! I've been away for a while. 

Big news! The Caron One Pound is GONE!  :yay Ultimately I cheated and just gave the stuff away, which will be good news for all of you too since I'm sure you're tired of hearing me whine about it. A friend said they could use in with the children's programs and activities in the public library where she works, so I bagged it all up, she hauled it out to her car and drove it away. It felt so good to see it go. It had become a chore to be gotten over. I have so much yarn that I love and want to use that I decided it was stupid to be plugging away through yarn I don't like just from grim duty. I still have yarn for years I'll enjoy using, and someone else will enjoy using this.

However, this is really a signing off message. I am so burned out on crochet I just need a long rest from it, and I'm deeply into cross stitch now, thinking about decor for the new house I still hope is coming some time this year. I may check into the forum and this thread from time to time, but probably won't be posting. I sent off the last two lapghans to the hospice, so accounts are settled. Not much to show for this year, lol. 

I told Denise (I think it was) that I would show her my funny cat cross stitch when I finished it. It isn't ironed or hanging ready yet, but the stitching is done. Here it is, a reminder on this wintry day that summer is coming. It always makes me smile to look at it. 

This isn't good-bye forever. I'll be back!  :lol

post-39480-0-83564900-1424637562_thumb.jpg

oooh, I missed this post.  what a pretty set. great colouration in that yarn.  I should buy some and just see if I can work it.  where is it on a scale from crochet cotton to sport weight?

It is around the feel of fingering weight yarn that some of the doll pattern call for which is why I got it.  However, with the way it stretches, it works a little differently than fingering weight, so you have to account for that when you are making stuff.  In one way it is helpful because it gives a bit. However, if you are expecting it to "hold" a certain shape that can be a bit more challenging.

Big news! The Caron One Pound is GONE!  :yay Ultimately I cheated and just gave the stuff away, which will be good news for all of you too since I'm sure you're tired of hearing me whine about it. A friend said they could use in with the children's programs and activities in the public library where she works, so I bagged it all up, she hauled it out to her car and drove it away. It felt so good to see it go. It had become a chore to be gotten over. I have so much yarn that I love and want to use that I decided it was stupid to be plugging away through yarn I don't like just from grim duty. I still have yarn for years I'll enjoy using, and someone else will enjoy using this.

However, this is really a signing off message. I am so burned out on crochet I just need a long rest from it, and I'm deeply into cross stitch now, thinking about decor for the new house I still hope is coming some time this year. I may check into the forum and this thread from time to time, but probably won't be posting. I sent off the last two lapghans to the hospice, so accounts are settled. Not much to show for this year, lol. 

I told Denise (I think it was) that I would show her my funny cat cross stitch when I finished it. It isn't ironed or hanging ready yet, but the stitching is done. Here it is, a reminder on this wintry day that summer is coming. It always makes me smile to look at it. 

Enjoy your break.  It is good to take some time and explore other interests.  I think it brings more creativity to the work you do.

It's funny how we get tied to a stash when there are plenty of people happy to have the yarn we don't want instead of killing ourselves using it.  There are always requests for pounders and other brands of acrylic yarn around here for various charity projects so never a problem finding it new homes.  It's never worth getting burned out over it when it could be a blessing to someone else.

Hi Donna, when I read your post I was torn between "that's cheating" and "that was clever", so I am going to go with "That was some clever cheating!". Because in the end, you're happy and the children at the library will be happy. We are obviously going to miss you around here if you don't post once in a while. You may be busy cross stitching but we could use you in the fan club!!! You have to drop in now and then and tell us how amazing our projects are!

Thanks for the post of your kitty cross stitch. I have seen that one in magazines before. It turned out great. It's a bit too complex for me. I stick with simple patterns with full stitches. I have not really mastered fractions of stitches or a lot of outlining.

My aunt went back to the Midwest today, so I will be back to the grind at work. Having company at home was such a good reason to leave after "only" working my 9 hour shift, but my inbox is suffering the consequence. Oh well.

I am looking forward to some crochet time this weekend. See you all soon....!

Hi everyone, two nights ago I finished the Chevron blanket. :c9 It was suppose to go to Warm Up America, however, it is too small so I'll donate it to a baby blanket drive. I took a picture last night and will post when I take the time to teach myself how to post them. ;)  My next project is another baby blanket of knit squares.

Last winter I broke my arm TWICE!!!!  :oops (Slipped on the stairs in the house and then the ice outside). I was in a cast so long that I decided to try to knit since there is no wrist twists involved  HeeHee and ended up with 20 knit squares. So I started to crochet around each square. I plan to then join them and border the blanket.  

Good for you for unloading that albatross that was around your neck.

I haven't been doing much crocheting lately either. Enjoy your cross stitching. I used to cross stitch like a mad woman, but I can't see well enough to do it anymore. I even tried one of those magnifying lamps, but I found it too awkward.

babypoohsmom - thanks for the kind words. I have to say, the cats were here and there grim stitching, full of fractional stitches. I did it on 28 count over two stitches that makes fractionals much easier, but still, I was glad to get it finished. For my next one, I chose simple.

I will definitely keep watching to see what you're all up to. Who knows - you might even inspire me to go back to crochet. I'm starting a really huge cross stitch, 315x400 stitches, solid, on dark blue. I'm wavering between doing it on 14 and 18 st. 14 will make it larger than I want, and I already bought the 18,  but I'm thinking that's way too much of a challenge and I may just grit my teeth and pay for a second huge expensive cut of fabric. I have to buy the full yard for it to fit. This is the pattern I'll be starting:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/215853816/night-birds-by-lauren-alexander-counted?ref=hp_mod_rf

Yarn may start looking really attractive in a few months!

babypoohsmom - thanks for the kind words. I have to say, the cats were here and there grim stitching, full of fractional stitches. I did it on 28 count over two stitches that makes fractionals much easier, but still, I was glad to get it finished. For my next one, I chose simple.

I will definitely keep watching to see what you're all up to. Who knows - you might even inspire me to go back to crochet. I'm starting a really huge cross stitch, 315x400 stitches, solid, on dark blue. I'm wavering between doing it on 14 and 18 st. 14 will make it larger than I want, and I already bought the 18,  but I'm thinking that's way too much of a challenge and I may just grit my teeth and pay for a second huge expensive cut of fabric. I have to buy the full yard for it to fit. This is the pattern I'll be starting:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/215853816/night-birds-by-lauren-alexander-counted?ref=hp_mod_rf

Yarn may start looking really attractive in a few months!

I loved counted cross stitch until I couldn't quite see the holes anymore

when we were in Hawaii,I picked up a big mural type of Diamond Head,haven't gotten to it yet,and may never...sigh

I'm most proud of the Mother in Law's prayer about raising a son

Hi all, just FYI I am down hard with the flu. Fever, aches, food won't stay down.

Hopefully see you in a few days.

I am so sorry you have this.  will keep you in prayer

Archived