Boxing Day CAL 2015 (charity items!)

babypoohsmom

Oh Donna, one day I will have to show you my room, my garage storage and my storage unit full of craft stuff so that you will feel like a minimalist. I love cross stitching but have not done it in several years. I have two projects that have been "resting". Waiting for me to get back at them. Oh ps, my mom passed two years ago and so I have all of her crafting supplies to use. I should start taking better care of myself because I have to live a long time.

Ok all, I have a problem. I bought this yarn from the Destashing posts late one night. I thought it would make great charity hats. But you cannot make a magic circle with it because it won't pull like that. I have about 20 skeins in two different colors. Does anyone know how to use this??attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I have a good bit of that chenille yarn and I just always start with a ch 4 and 11 dc into 4th ch from hook. (12dc) From there I just work whatever hat pattern or pattern stitch I want to use.  it also works well in hdc (ch 2, 10 hdc in 2nd ch from hook)  it makes a very warm fabric and the texture feels like a velvet. :c9 

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ya, I realized today that I didn't show you the addi scarf I made that actually worked. I think it is way too short. You can't wrap it around twice. Then I just started making a hat out of the scarf that went bad....and here it it.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Donna, do you have to pay a lot of postage for stuff from the UK. if I recall, when I was on vacation it was something like $1.50 just to mail postcards home.

And Holly, any accomplishment should never be preceded by "only". You made more rectangles. Woo Hoo. Scraps are on their steady mission to warm a child!!

that scarf length works very well for a man who just wants to cross a scarf over the chest for warmth.  Many older gentlemen like that effect.

Is Crochetville locking up on anyone else today or is it my iPad. This is my third time trying this post.

Ok Darski, I will try a hat without using a magic circle. I did try a scarf but had a hard time finding the stitches and it is nearly impossible to frog.

So, you would think that I have learned my lesson about funky yarn, right? Alas, no. I have a Joann's very close to my home so I walk through about once a week. Sometimes after a long, crummy day at work it cheers me up. So yesterday I saw the bin of mill ends chock full of that sashay style yarn. Bored. But then I found this:

post-13802-0-54117200-1422239179_thumb.jpg

...and I thought "I'm not annoyed enough with the chenille yarn, so what could be worse"

Sigh. Does this look like grandmas's shower cap or what?

post-13802-0-49037700-1422239196_thumb.jpg

It was also very hard to work with and my 72dc hat sometimes had 80 stitches because I added some bonus stitches when I could not see what I was doing. I have 4 more skeins. But I was able to aggrivate myself for less than $6 thanks to my coupon!!

Well, it's certainly different, but not bad. I think it would look better if the straight yarn was a color that coordinated better with the fluffy bits, but it really is ok. She just has a lot of fallen leaves stuck to her hat. The perfect accessory for the outdoorsy type.  :lol I really wonder sometimes about the people that dream up the color combinations of variegated yarns.

It does look like it was hard to work with. And to think I felt persecuted when I was trying to use up plain old boucle! 

Joann's is a trap. I live across the street from one, but manage to stay out of now unless I need something very specific.

Maybe I could double it up with some red yarn? See what that looks like.

Missy, I forgot to compliment you on your cute cat mats. I have one in the dryer right now so you will see one of mine soon. You'll get a good laugh.

All of the hats are so pretty and I love the little dolls.  Everyone is doin so well with their projects.  My computer is still in the shop and I am hoping to get it back some time this week.  I am on my third baby blanket for the NICU.  I will post pictures when I can. 

Finally starting to get some pictures taken and posted on my Blog.

Today we have the first o   Baby Doll Diaper Bag .  I still need to find the pattern for the rest of the accessories, but it is a start.

I love that set.  it's a neat idea - the kind of thing I loved as a little girl. :heart

I'm late joining in, but I'm back. I generally make stuff for the local pregnancy resource center. I just finished a striped baby blanket made from left overs from other projects. My inlaws both went into a nursing home this year, so I may do some lap robes and smaller afghans for them too. Walker bags would be another possibility, I guess. I certainly have enough fabric.......

Here is my first project. I can't figure out how to rotate the pictures so that they post right side up. Sorry about that.

post-6189-0-38575800-1422643092_thumb.jpg

post-6189-0-63441400-1422643172_thumb.jpg

I'm late joining in, but I'm back. I generally make stuff for the local pregnancy resource center. I just finished a striped baby blanket made from left overs from other projects. My inlaws both went into a nursing home this year, so I may do some lap robes and smaller afghans for them too. Walker bags would be another possibility, I guess. I certainly have enough fabric.......

Here is my first project. I can't figure out how to rotate the pictures so that they post right side up. Sorry about that.

love that - so very colourful.

you "paint" type program should have a menu item calld "image".  If you click on that it gives you the option of rotating or flipping.

post-4896-0-90003200-1422647460_thumb.jpg

Thanks Darski, but I'm not so sure I have a program like that. I used to be able to rotate from within the photo app that I use, but a recent update changed that app, and I can't figure out how to do it. I assume that it is still in there somewhere. It's just not jumping out at me. I will have to try to remember to get one of my children to show me how it's done

these go fairly quickly even with all that sc.  I actually have 18 done but one is out visiting :rofl

attachicon.gifbunt003.jpg

I also have a line on a hospital that might want them :yes

They are very cute.

Very pretty.

Well, I haven't been working on any of my WUA rectangles this week "but" I am working on an afghan for a program WUA supports.  It's the Build-a-Bed Campaign at Morehead College.  I'm afraid I don't know much about the program, but it's giving me a reason to try out a pattern I've always wanted to try!  :D

Darski, I love the variety of dolls. I got a laugh at their little egg crate! How clever.

Bailey, the diaper bag is adorable. I don't work well with small pieces so I envy your work.

And Gardner, what a nice blanket. Is that a dc with a chain 1? Very simple but very pretty.

Ok Missy, as promised last week, here is my cat mat:

post-13802-0-56302700-1422683705_thumb.jpg

I use three strands to make it thick. As you can see I just use up everything. So far the cats have not shunned them! My mom passed two years ago and she refused to make them this way. She had to have three matching colors! But I like watching the colors change.

Note to self: don't take photos on the counter.

I finally finished the black, white, and red lapghan. Finally. It became a real chore, partly because I was tired of crocheting, and partly because I just didn't like the colors. Red and white or red and black would have been ok, but I didn't like the black and white in it. However, when trying to use up yarn, whatever works, right? 

Getting it out of the way, and having had a break, I feel more energized to start working on these again. I started one and brought it in to leave at work. When I looked at it this morning, three of the balls of navy looked off, so I brought in some cream I can substitute for those if I need too. I going to get it out after while and look at all the navy under our overkill fluorescent light at the circ desk. It's One Pound, so the colors are midnight blue (I think that's what it's called), peach and persimmon. Maybe some cream.

I still haven't found my camera software. After I get a few more done, I'll post pics of all of them. It's a pain because I'll have to haul out my old computer to process them. Until then, you can use your imagination.

Hello, I got two hats done this week. On the first one, I used up a leftover bit of variegated yarn and finished with solid black. The solid black didn't match the black in the variegated yarn, but it's going to have to do.

And, you know I can't stay away from Joann's and I always seem to want to take a chance on odd mill end yarns. Well, it happened again. I found some very soft purple yarn with flecks of other colors. I thought it might split on the Addi, but it went through like a dream. I am so pleased with it and it is SO soft. There were 5 skeins in the pack and with my coupon it was less than $5. This hat took most of one skein. I will probably keep a few for gifts or the craft show and if the package with the same yarn only in black is still there tomorrow, I will buy it too.

post-13802-0-19560800-1422770309_thumb.jpgpost-13802-0-76911400-1422770323_thumb.jpg

A few months ago a friend asked if I could show her how to make my style of cats beds so her Daisy troop could help her make some for one of their badges. I gave her about 8 yards of fleece and last week she gave me about 7 back. So...I decided I would spend the day cutting beds, etc. I cut and put all of the first seams in 9 beds, 7 pillows and about 100 toys. I'm pooped. I took a break and watched a bit of TV. I crocheted 8 toys. I wanted to make pink and red for Valentine's Day but the red was Caron and it doesn't work right when paired with regular acrylic so I switched to pink and cream.

post-13802-0-03144300-1422771008_thumb.jpgpost-13802-0-93366100-1422771022_thumb.jpg

Archived