Boxing Day CAL 2015 (charity items!)

babypoohsmom

I've been thinking about the crocheting I'll be doing this year. I'm thinking I will hold all, or most, of the lapghans until the end of the year, and offer some to the library staff when I retire. I've been here 13 years, so even with the coming and going, some were here when I arrived and I've known them a long time. So a lot of the production may turn out to be gifts rather than donations. However, with everyone's kind permission, I'll still hang around here - this seems to have been my most constant home CAL on Crochetville since I joined. I just won't know until the end of the year which or how many will be actual charity donations.I'm sure some will. Well, if I get as many done as I need to.

Anyway, you are all good company! :manyheart  

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished my first lapghan for the new year. I actually started it last month. This will be going to a local nursing home along with a couple others I made last month.

post-4459-0-63329500-1420403439_thumb.jpg

Welcome Tammy and good to see you back Donna. You can cheer us on and tell us what you are up to charity or not. Are you retiring this year? I have 9 ish years to go before I can, sigh....

Cshort, I love the lap ghan, it is very cheerful. Only two weeks into our charity year and we already have a picture. Woot woot.

Here is the minion hat I tried to make for my nephew. Two problems: first, it fits me and my nephew is 3, second the black strip for the eye is too low. I was trying to wing it the week before Christmas and it didn't work out. As is, it reminds me of Charlie Brown.

post-13802-0-94122700-1420429376_thumb.jpg

Yes, Denise, I get to retire!  :yay  It will probably be sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I still have a while to go. The exciting thing is that in all probability I'll be moving to the country. A long time friend has invited me to put a mobile home on her land, so I'm also in the process of designing that. I love playing with floor plans! It would be a good situation and have a lot of advantages for me. She thinks it's certain; I still can't quite let myself believe it will actually happen. She is still clearing the land and getting utilities arranged and build there herself. She will be house sharing with another mutual friend. The families of the third one's brother and sister will also be putting homes there, most likely this summer. I've met the brother who is super nice. It will be a very pleasant group of people to live around. It's exciting to look forward to, and I hope it really happens. There's no reason it shouldn't except that it feels like one of those too good to be true things.

Meanwhile I'm really pushing to use down some of the yarn and book stash before I move.

Welcome Tammy and good to see you back Donna. You can cheer us on and tell us what you are up to charity or not. Are you retiring this year? I have 9 ish years to go before I can, sigh....

Cshort, I love the lap ghan, it is very cheerful. Only two weeks into our charity year and we already have a picture. Woot woot.

Here is the minion hat I tried to make for my nephew. Two problems: first, it fits me and my nephew is 3, second the black strip for the eye is too low. I was trying to wing it the week before Christmas and it didn't work out. As is, it reminds me of Charlie Brown.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That is a cute hat.

Thanks for the compliments on the lapghan.

Donna, this is how my little brain works....I read up to the third sentence of your post and totally remembered what you had said before. Kinda like the wheelchair bags as soon as I saw the picture again. My brain needs a little nudge now and then!! Ok, most of the time!

Me and the kittens go to the doctor tomorrow so I took the day off. I hope to play with the addi for some instant hat gratification.

And I have a few thank yous to write for Christmas gifts from co-workers including my boss. I better do that. My mom is shaking her fist from the sky - - "I taught you better than that, get those thank yous done!!"

When exactly is boxing day? I guess I could go google it. lol Also, where is a good place to donate childrens items?  I used to find cabbage patch dolls and fix them up and donate to the women's shelter in Harrison. There are none around here, shelters that is. The closest is 60 miles away and I did dolls a few years ago for them but just can't find any cpk around here. 

I make up some patterns, hats and such, to see how they do and then of course, people want different colors so I have extras and  was wondering where is a good place to donate them too? 

I looked it up. I'm horrible at waiting till a specific day to give though. lol

I donate the Springfield 18" dolls and some baby dolls with crocheted clothing and accessories to a high school toy drive every year.  It took me some time to research my options to find the best option for me.  I needed something that was easy and simple to work with since my transportation opitons are limited and I didn't want to use up all my resources with shipping.  I crochet all year and DH drops my donations off at the school for the deadline.

I'd suggest talking to some of your local government people.  I found out about the local tech high school's toy drive by asking people I knew that were involved in local government, charity work, etc. until I found a program that matched my needs. The previous program I donated to stopped and I needed a new one.  As I was looking I found there were some that had specifics that didn't work for me.  You may find there are people who collect for charities in your area that would be happy to take your stuff and bring it to a shelter they work with taking the transportation out of your hands.  Churches are another place to ask for places to donate.  They sometimes have suggestions of places who are looking for help and accept donations of toys.  They are another group that tend to work outside their own areas and have connections with other Churches that do work directly with shelters.  I know in this area, there are Churches that have banded together to provide support in areas that don't have the financial ability to support the shelters in their areas with all kinds of needs.

As for waiting most of us give all year long unless we have a specific project that has a deadline.  I do prayer shawls that get collected monthly at our Church.  The doll project just happens to be a Christmas project.  While Boxing Day is the theme, we don't wait until Boxing Day to donate.  We donate as we can.

the concept of Boxing day as a day when charity was enacted was the basis of this CAL.  In the original CAL several years ago I had a huge box --from a computer I think-- and the idea was to fill it with hats to be donated to a/some group over the next year.  This all happened in early December and so Boxing Day seemed a good focus for a BOX of hats for charitable giving.  That year I ended up sending  7 boxes of hats (270hats) to a mission in Northern Manitoba.

I much prefer this current format as it is so open to whatever people want to make.  it also seems to replace the monthly charity blasts that we used to do here at the 'Ville.

If you check any local churches or a Sally Ann thrift store you will find people who would be happy to get warm hats.

I'm having trouble myself figuring out what to crochet and where to donate. I think I'm gonna make some hats or lapghans or something and then just see if I can find somewhere in my area that needs them.

Knots of Love accepts hats and baby afghans. I usually make up a bunch, then box them up and mail them. They send the items they get all over the country. http://www.knotsoflove.org

One of my goals when I was starting was to find something local.  At the time I was helping family across country shipping tons of stuff for the kids and the cost was amazing.  So, for my charity stuff I wanted to keep it local and cut out the shipping costs.  They've recently moved back to this state and this was the first Christmas I haven't had to ship everything across the map.  It was quite the experience.

Much depends on what your resources are and what you can do.  For an occasional project I  ship stuff, but for a sustainable project, I prefer to be able to donate locally, so I look for local people who can point me in the direction of matching what I like to make with a need that I can match locally. 

If you have a local hospital, the social worker may also be able to point you in the direction of a place that would like toys.  They tend to have connections to other places of need in the area.

I found a place to start. Our local hospital doesn't do births anymore so they are all sent to Norman. Norman NICU was on a list that accepts items. I just got off the phone and she is wonderful. Asked me to come up for a tour of the NICU so I could see what was needed. :)  It's about 40 minutes away but that's ok. Thank you guys. Looks like I get to make some tiny hats and booties. :)

Wishy-washy Donna back. I've decided I'm not going to give the lapghans to co-workers, so I'm a member in good standing again.  :lol  They will still go to charities. I'm still plugging away on the second one. It's hard to get into it, because I'm not liking it very much. It's white-black-white-wider red for the repeat. It would look better if the black was next to the red, but I couldn't figure out any sequence where I would have had enough black to do that. So it is what it is. At least it will be bright and cheerful.

Archived