Boxing Day CAL 2015 (charity items!)

babypoohsmom

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made this hat awhile back with the waffle pattern in the middle. I decided to make a scarf to match. However, in the time since I started the scarf, I have washed the hat a few times and it just does not soften up. So...as much as I hate to pull apart all of the work, I don't want to make a scratchy scarf. Say goodbye scarf!!

post-13802-0-35576400-1450501530_thumb.jpeg

There is something wonderful about the crazy last minute Christmas sales.  AC Moore had the Springfield dolls on sale for $9.99 from today until Christmas.  DH was out getting my Mom a last minute addition to her Christmas requests and while he was out I had him stop and pick up the two dolls I need for the 2016 donation!!!!

I was looking the last time I was there and realized their regular sales price had increased from 12.49/12.99 to 14.99 and was not looking forward to the increase.  It doesn't sound like much, but the more I spend there, the less I can spend on other things for the project and it adds up by the time the donation is done.  I am fortunate that I can get them on sale and almost never have to pay the list 19.99 price.

So I was blessed with a very good deal for next year, by having DH braze the crazed crowds now.

the Springfield dolls are $32.00 here in Canada so even if I have a 50% coupon they are still more expensive than your usual sale price.  I would go and buy a dozen  (JK) if they were ever $10.00  :rofl

I do like their dolls but I rather liked the hairdo with bangs.

I was tempted, but I wasn't the one going out to get them.  It was good of DH to go in and buy 2.  I got him on the money saving concept.  Going into the store to buy dolls isn't on his top list of things I send him out to do. :yes:lol :lol

You'd think Canada would come up with a Canadian doll and then start manufacturing their own brand of imitations.  It would make the whole thing more affordable for Canadian doll owners.

There are some cuter 18" non-American Girl dolls, but these are one of the least expensive and most consistent for me to find.  My niece had one of the Target dolls that I liked.  The hair was much nicer.  However, the price per doll is more as well even on when you can find them on sale.  Not in comparison to a real AG, but I'm not in the market for AG dolls either.  I need 2 a year and I have to keep the cost down to be able to keep doing it.  The Springfield hair is terrible.  If they could fix that one issue, it would be a much nicer doll, probably outside my price, but nicer.

If Mary Maxim doesn't find another soft bodied 15" doll I'm going to be needing to find another brand of 15" baby dolls soon.  They sent me a supply from Canada a few years ago and I ordered what I could afford when they stopped stocking them in America.  However, I have to call and see if they have any left in Canada, as I think I'm down to one left for this coming year's donation.  After that I need to explore new options if I can't continue to use that doll.  I am not as fond as the hard plastic dolls they make.  The soft one was more fun to play with for a kid, I thought.  I'll have to call after Christmas and then consider my options after that.  I have a year to figure it out.

What do you mean Darski? What kind of Christmas group??

Bailey, that is so cute. You are already working on next year! Sorry that you were sick.

I thought it might be cute to do a Mrs. Clause and some elves. (a boy and a girl... are there girl elves? :rofl  )

Well, here it is, Christmas Day!  At least it's still Christmas here in Arizona.  

I guess that means it's time to wrap it up and get started on next year's charity box!  (Bailey got a head start!!) 

I don't think any of us need the pressure of thinking up numbers on the things we made.  It's not about the volume.  It's about the fact that each of us took time out to do something that would bring joy or comfort to others.  Even if the others were animals!  It's fun to scroll back through the pages to see all of the fun things people made and to remember what the year was like.  Not great for all of us, but here we are!

Thank you - to all of you for making me have something to look forward to after a crummy day at work!  It's amazing to drop in the 'Ville and see what everyone is doing.  So, let's all go meet up in the new CAL and see what kind of crazy stuff goes on in 2016!!

Archived