a different afghan

creativeK

Question

13 answers to this question

What about a giant granny square?  They can be really pretty esp. if you use a lot of colors you like.  I made one recently (which is actually not too giant, but i could have kept going lol)   I added a lacy border but you don't really even need a border.

post-10356-0-45164700-1419037361_thumb.jpg

What about a giant granny square?  They can be really pretty esp. if you use a lot of colors you like.  I made one recently (which is actually not too giant, but i could have kept going lol)   I added a lacy border but you don't really even need a border.

that looks nice..is it complicated?

that looks nice..is it complicated?

No, not at all complicated, one of the building blocks so to speak of crocheting.   Have you made a granny square yet?   We can suggest tutorials if you haven't, but i don't know if you prefer videos, photos, etc.  

The Ocean tranquility pattrn Laraine suggests is very nice, the st patt is interesting but easy to remember.  

Well, to be honest, i personally do not have patience to watch how-to videos, I would prefer a sequence of photos, so I am not the best to suggest videos.

Sites that i know have reliable videos include Crochetcabana, so you might look there, it is wealth of info and i am pretty sure she covers grannies.  

googled a bit and i think this one by bobwilson looks quite good 

it shows how to change colors on each round, the way i made mine. (there is a slightly different way to do it if you want a solid color granny w/o fastening off at end of each round)

Here is a link to the menu of tutorials on the Crochet Cabana site Magiccrochetfan mentioned--it does cover grannies (in several sections under 'crocheting in the round'), including troubleshooting. There are videos as well as photos. This is a great site in general for beginners, she covers a lot of ground and explains things very clearly.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/tutorials.html

One thing I've noticed in our forum for granny square questions is that a common problem is 'losing the corners'.  The granny pattern is easy and maybe even monotonous, the only thing 'different' happens in each corner.  If you miss the corner, it all goes to heck.  It might be a good idea to mark the corners in the beginning -- they will become more obvious when the square grows a few rows.

I also suggest turning the square every row.  (1) it makes it reversible (2) it prevents skewing (the square becomes twisted), which can be quite pronounced for giant grannies but not obvious if you are making a blanket with little grannies.sewn together.

GrannySquare, thank you so much for mentioning turning!!!  As you may remember, that is one of my soapboxes lol, and i forgot to mention it!  

So, looks like turning is covered on Crochetcabana (it really does cover so much, great site!)

And i just came across this blog which also has a lot of good info http://www.yarnoverpullthrough.com/granny-square-leans-to-the-right

I know there are numerous previous threads here about it as well, but it would take me a while to locate them.  

Archived