Amigurumi craze!

difang

I've been knitting for more than half a decade now... I've been crocheting for only 2 months.

Amigurumi was what finally compelled me to learn to crochet. My grandmother gave me her sets of crochet hooks a long time ago and tried to teach me but I never really got the hang of it, mostly cause I still preferred the feel of knitting needles in my hands and couldn't get used to using a single hook. Amigurumi and the promise of super cute creations changed all of that.

I started off with a few cupcakes (youtube tutorial found here) and played around with the toppings a bit:

post-73605-0-40814800-1419029413_thumb.jpg

post-73605-0-07446100-1419029412_thumb.jpg

Surprisingly, crocheting came naturally to me this second time around... maybe because I have more years of knitting under my belt or maybe because I was more motivated to learn this time.

Next, I tackled a pattern for mini birds (youtube tutorial found here):

post-73605-0-92424400-1419029550_thumb.jpg

At this point, I decided I needed more yarn colors cause I'd exhausted my current meager collection, so I stopped by Michael's. To my surprise and joy, they had a sale on one of my favorite cheap acrylic yarns: Caron Simply Soft. It's cheap, it's soft, it's sturdy --  nothing exceptional but nothing to complain about. At $2.50 or so a skein, I loaded up the cart with about a dozen. The entire rainbow!

post-73605-0-97782500-1419029804_thumb.jpg

And with my glorious new palette, I made another bird to go with the blue/brown one:

post-73605-0-19727700-1419029552_thumb.jpg

After making the cupcakes and the birds, I was starting to feel more and more confident in my skills so I went on to tackle a more complicated pattern (though it turned out to be just time-consuming -- after making a couple amigurumi, you start to see the overall pattern of increases and decreases and nothing is really all that difficult to crochet). This bunny pattern took longer cause it simply had more parts:

post-73605-0-90245300-1419029890_thumb.jpg

The only things that were slightly different from the things I'd made before were the ears (due to the color change) and the legs (fascinating to realize how the pattern maker used back loops to create a crease along the edge of the paws). The pattern for this bunny can be found here. Even though it's in Spanish, you can google translate the page and the translation, though not perfect, can be easily parsed if you have a basic understanding of crochet terms and amigurumi-craft.

post-73605-0-44224600-1419030048_thumb.png

Decided in the end to swap out the knitted bow for a turquoise ribbon:

post-73605-0-13375500-1419030047_thumb.png

I got a pack of craft eyes for these larger amigurumi projects but the eyes turned out to be crazy owl eyes... so, I decided to make an owl, heh (pattern found here).

post-73605-0-74014800-1419029895_thumb.jpg

And since it's winter... gotta bundle up!

post-73605-0-36068800-1419029893_thumb.jpg

Well, that's the end of my current list of amigurumis. I still need to get black craft eyes for the bunny and future projects. But yep, I'll post more next time! :)

Thanks for reading/viewing!

- Di

Once again I can't believe you have only been crocheting for two months. I love what you did with the cupcakes and your critters are adorable.

Thanks! :) I can barely believe it myself, haha. The first time I tried to learn crochet, several yrs back, was ridiculously difficult and I gave up in a matter of minutes. Amazing what a bit of motivation can do the second time around!

Oh wow!!! This is what I want to crochet but havn't tried yet... Great job - beautiful work

Thanks! You should definitely try it. Super fun and super addicting! :)

Your ami's are great and so cute.

Thank you! :)

You did awesome. I did the same thing. Grandma taught basics when I was a child but I couldn't sit still enough. Then in my 20's... I made 3 large granny square  lapghans (and called them afghans) for Christmas and hated it. Maybe cause I was trying to shove it all in a short period of time. It wasn't until my daughter asked me to teach her years later and I found amigurumi that I fell in love with it. Haven't been able to put hooks down since. You really did a tremendous job starting out. Very cute. :) 

So cute!! Love the little birds! I did the opposite of you. Tried to learn to knit and could not get the hang of it. After I had been crocheting for awhile, I tried knitting again and this time it just clicked. Funny how that works. 

Thanks, everyone! :)

You did awesome. I did the same thing. Grandma taught basics when I was a child but I couldn't sit still enough. Then in my 20's... I made 3 large granny square  lapghans (and called them afghans) for Christmas and hated it. Maybe cause I was trying to shove it all in a short period of time. It wasn't until my daughter asked me to teach her years later and I found amigurumi that I fell in love with it. Haven't been able to put hooks down since. You really did a tremendous job starting out. Very cute. :)

Haha yeah, I remember being super impatient when my grandma first tried to teach me. I only got as far as the chain and the single crochet the first time, and even then, I was overly frustrated and swore I'd never touch crochet again. (I couldn't keep the same tension through all my stitches, probably cause I was used to keeping even tension with two needles instead of one hook.) Funny how the right kind of motivation will get you back into a craft! :P

So cute!! Love the little birds! I did the opposite of you. Tried to learn to knit and could not get the hang of it. After I had been crocheting for awhile, I tried knitting again and this time it just clicked. Funny how that works. 

Thanks! And haha, right? It's strange how the second time's the charm. Though I'm impressed you went from crocheting to knitting! I don't think I could've managed that. For some reason, my brain finds crochet much easier than knitting, lol.

All of them are so cute, but you can't beat knitting for softness and hang in garments.

So true! Unless you use lace or fingering weight yarn, crocheted garments never drape the way knitted ones do. Crochet seems to be much better for stiffer things, like bags, afghans, stuffed animals, pillow cases, etc. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Archived