Making my first purse/crochet bag!

Tory L Lindsey

So I have made the courageous decision to make my own purse. I have found some very cute purses in the stores, but couldn't find one I really liked. I have completely designed it and will build it from the ground up (I'll be buying already made leather bag handles, but attaching them by hand). The dimensions are 18"x6"x12",and it will be a checkerboard pattern of black and white 3-inch granny squares all the way around. I haven't decided on what material I will use for the bottom of the bag, or to reinforce the sides, as I want it to be sort of stiff so that it will stand on its own. Any tips on that would be greatly appreciated, as well as tips on where to find handles and purse feet. I will be posting pictures of my progress on it as I go. Sorry if I seem too enthusiastic, but this will be the first thing I've made for myself since I started crochet, and the most involved and time consuming project I've started. I'm excited to see how it will turn out.

• 2 weeks later...

There are special interfacing products available for handmade purses.  A google search would help you find them as well as the handles you want.  A cheap way to make the bag firm, would be to use plastic canvas cut to size and inserted with the lining.  You  might be able to find some leather in you local craft store to use for the bottom of your purse which you can cut to size.  You can use a awl to punch holes around the leather bottom and stitch it on to the rest of the bag. 

Thank you so much for the advice! I changed the design slightly, and it will now be red, white, and black granny squares for the front and back, with black squares made for the sides. I've made enough to start piecing together one of the sides, which is pictured. The final side will be 6 squares by 4 squares, or approx. 18"x12". The sewing is haphazardly done since this is inspired by my favorite villian, Harley Quinn (Joker's sidekick from Batman). Still working on it, slowly but surely. I've finished all of the white and red squares needed, and I'm working on the black ones now. Next will be to get the plastic canvas or interfacing of some sort, along with the fabric to go inside.

post-73558-0-00768200-1420260520_thumb.jpg

Archived