Shawl We Crochet? - CAL

darski

I think it would depend on where the shawl is going, wouldn't it?  For example, if it's going to a Hospice, the person receiving it would be, most likely, bedridden, and not be going outside. So, an open pattern would be all suitable.  If, however, it was a special order for someone, it would be advisable to find out what climate they live in.

Also, I noticed you mentioned that it is 21" wide, but you're going to add a border to it.  Our local Hospice requires our prayer shawls to be 20" X 60".  (Reason--unknown!)

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would depend on where the shawl is going, wouldn't it?  For example, if it's going to a Hospice, the person receiving it would be, most likely, bedridden, and not be going outside. So, an open pattern would be all suitable.  If, however, it was a special order for someone, it would be advisable to find out what climate they live in.

Also, I noticed you mentioned that it is 21" wide, but you're going to add a border to it.  Our local Hospice requires our prayer shawls to be 20" X 60".  (Reason--unknown!)

I live in the Niagara Region of southern Ontario so that is the weather location :wbrr

I'm happy to see that dimension given - makes it easier if I only have to aim for 20" width.

I think I will go for it and let the caregivers decide what to do with it.

Checking in........ I'm still working on my first shawl. Slow and steady but it is turning out nicely. I'm pleased with it. I think I have found a pattern for my next one.

way to go :clap

what are you planning next - if you have a link? 

I'm officially halfway on my yellow shawl. 

post-4896-0-09697300-1422575549_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-53825100-1422575550_thumb.jpg

I used up the first - of 2- skein of yellow and with the white border it will be about 66" long.  that isn't a bad length all things considered.

I would like it a bit longer but needs must...

I put my tail in gear and finished it last night. 

post-4896-0-37376900-1422632652_thumb.jpg

I've been going through my shell stitch book on Cloud looking for the next pattern.

we won't mention the fact that I have  4 others on the go shhh

I just finished the red shawl last night and wanted to show it to you all. The yellow cape like one is one that I made my Mom a few years ago, she's 91 and always complaining about her shoulders being cold, this works like a charm. I also made several for nursing homes here in our city and the cancer hospital.

Here are the links for both of them:

The yellow Wheelchair Wrap

http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/94931.aspx

and the other is called Midnight Breeze Shawl

http://www.beatriceryandesigns.com/2014/07/15/midnight-breeze-shawl/

post-68557-0-15916200-1422644007_thumb.jpg

post-68557-0-99176200-1422644010_thumb.jpg

I just finished the red shawl last night and wanted to show it to you all. The yellow cape like one is one that I made my Mom a few years ago, she's 91 and always complaining about her shoulders being cold, this works like a charm. I also made several for nursing homes here in our city and the cancer hospital.

Here are the links for both of them:

The yellow Wheelchair Wrap

http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/94931.aspx

and the other is called Midnight Breeze Shawl

http://www.beatriceryandesigns.com/2014/07/15/midnight-breeze-shawl/

very pretty.  I wondered about a poncho type shawl

quote name="darski" post="2658693" timestamp="1422194396"]way to go 

what are you planning next - if you have a link?

I'm planning on doing the Say a Little Prayer shawl from all-free crochet next.

http://www.allfreecrochet.com/Prayer-Shawls/Say-a-Little-Prayer-Shawl-Red-Heart

This is the one that I did for the cancer patients...love the pattern it goes so fast.

Do you all have a pattern for plus sizes? Or suggestions on how to enlarge the Wheelchair wrap? My daughter wants me to make a shawl/wrap for her mother-in-law and she said that she is a plus size...no she didn't tell me exactly what size.....which of course, would help...:)

Do you all have a pattern for plus sizes? Or suggestions on how to enlarge the Wheelchair wrap? My daughter wants me to make a shawl/wrap for her mother-in-law and she said that she is a plus size...no she didn't tell me exactly what size.....which of course, would help... :)

I would guess that you could just continue in the established pattern until it is larger.  it might also help to add 2 or 3 extra sts to the beginning and end of the beginning chain and work them as described for the usual pattern.

I have seen posts for plus size items but I didn't mark them.  a search might find some for you.  let me know if you find some so we can add them in.

Darski, love the yellow and white shawl. What pattern did you use?

Darlene, both are very pretty. Thanks for sharing the patterns, too.

Still plugging away on my cozy comfort prayer shawl. Hopefully will be finished in a few days.

that was done with the first row of a crochet stitch I saw online.  it is just a shall stitch done with a [dc, ch2, dc, ch2, dc] shell. the shells were nestled on every other row.  it created a very distinctive pattern and I like it.

I would guess that you could just continue in the established pattern until it is larger.  it might also help to add 2 or 3 extra sts to the beginning and end of the beginning chain and work them as described for the usual pattern.

I have seen posts for plus size items but I didn't mark them.  a search might find some for you.  let me know if you find some so we can add them in.

Ok, thanks for your help.

based on my own plus size body shape I would think that more coverage in the front would be the way to go.

I started with ch 60 which is 3 extra sts in ea front section. where it said to dc in 11 in beginning and end areas I did dc in 14 and just followed the pattern from there.  I did add cross sts for design interest.

I think this would be very well received as it gives coverage and warmth,  I plan to do extra rows as well.

post-4896-0-87589900-1422669211_thumb.jpg

based on my own plus size body shape I would think that more coverage in the front would be the way to go.

I started with ch 60 which is 3 extra sts in ea front section. where it said to dc in 11 in beginning and end areas I did dc in 14 and just followed the pattern from there.  I did add cross sts for design interest.

I think this would be very well received as it gives coverage and warmth,  I plan to do extra rows as well.

attachicon.gifwrap001.jpg

Thank you, that helps a lot. I was trying to think of what to do to "pretty" it up...and the cross stitches sounds and looks great....I was thinking about a couple of hdc rows, but like the cross stitches better. I don't want too many "holes" as they aren't as warm. I had also thought about adding a border to each front, and around, but not sure about that. I like the color you are using.

Archived