A Wobble Afghan CAL

darski

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooh - that's pretty Grayhoundgrandma! I always hesitate to use light blue with those greener blues, but it looks great. What yarn are you using?

darski, I like that color sequence. I'll be interested to see what size it turns out. I did start over with mine. To get the width, I used 3 dc on each end, but started and ended with the V-st section rather than the shell. I'm only a couple of rows into the re-do, and may not get any more done on it tonight. I brought in the other one that I'm having some trouble getting started right, which I don't understand. It's 2 rows of dc, then 2 rows of granny stitch shells. Easy-peasy. But the ends aren't looking right. The pattern says to skip the last stitch on the fifth row that I haven't done, because that doesn't make any sense at all to me.. I think I just got something off in mine. So I'm going to do a narrow swatch and see what really works. I want to be ready to just pick these up and roll while I'm off and not still be fiddling around with working things out.

I admit I didn't read the pattern, I just followed the chart after getting the multiples .  but then I'm not trying anything new. I'm such a coward on these things.

I haven't noticed a problem, but I haven't hung around when I've been on. Just here and then off. 

I only started with the  V section part first because the count worked better without making it too wide. I did almost two rows on my supper break and (bad words!)  had to pull it all out. I got to the very last V stitch before the ending 3 dcs, and huh? There wasn't a V st below it, just a dc. I am making no headway on this and I'm beginning to think that lately I'm too dumb to breathe, much less crochet  :lol  I tell myself it will be better when I'm not doing black. We live by fairy tales.

I finally saw what is happening with the other pattern I'm trying. Playing around with it remained sort of confusing. How could it not be working with just dc and shells? I finally charted it and then it was obvious. The second granny shell row, with the offset, added a stitch, which, on a granny stripe afghan drops off again with the next row. But in this pattern, you go to straight dc so have one stitch too many. So I guess you do have to drop it. I always make my turning chains 2 chs instead of 3, and that pulls it up snugly enough that it will be ok. 

I'm going to soldier on and do the grocery shopping after work tonight so tomorrow I can just be at home and settle in and get these two afghans going. Once I do, they should both fly.

greyhoundgrandma - I wondered if that was One Pound. The top blue looked that odd azure. I find the colors in the line don't blend very well. Some do, of course, but they seem to be often very dark or very light or just - odd. 

I have 70 rows done and another 30 to go.  When finished this will be 75 X 43 inches.

I also think the pattern won't 'read' until it is finished but it is starting to get there.

post-4896-0-54422700-1415735061_thumb.jpg

It is still going quickly; just not as quickly as the smaller one (well duh!  :rofl )

very pretty colors

the first thought that came to mind was the movie Frozen for some reason

Yah know - this would be gorgeous in blue and white.  I wonder if just one blue with white or several blues with white... :think

Finally finished!  :manyheart

post-4896-0-02901900-1415903109_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-20128000-1415903111_thumb.jpg

I admit that I switched to a 5.5mm hook to get this row done but even so it was close.

post-4896-0-34379400-1415903112_thumb.jpg

I have to admit that I don't think it quite did what I wanted it to do... sometimes it seems just perfect and then I :think again.

I like that darski, and the size would be great for a twin bed. 

I abandoned the one I had started in ILTY - the colors weren't working as well as I had hoped and I knew I would just become more and more dissatisfied with it. So I went back to One Pound and started one with ocean, sage and light green. It's working out much better and I'm almost half finished with it. It has stripes at the end and a stretch of ocean in the middle. I think I'm going to really bored with ocean. It's not a huge stretch, but ocean is a pretty boring color.  :P Unfortunately, at the start of this de-stashing project project I had two full skeins of it, so I'd better learn to love it - two skeins of that feels like miles of yarn.

I like that darski, and the size would be great for a twin bed. 

I abandoned the one I had started in ILTY - the colors weren't working as well as I had hoped and I knew I would just become more and more dissatisfied with it. So I went back to One Pound and started one with ocean, sage and light green. It's working out much better and I'm almost half finished with it. It has stripes at the end and a stretch of ocean in the middle. I think I'm going to really bored with ocean. It's not a huge stretch, but ocean is a pretty boring color.  :P Unfortunately, at the start of this de-stashing project project I had two full skeins of it, so I'd better learn to love it - two skeins of that feels like miles of yarn.

I rather liked Ocean the first time I got some but then it is all about blue :wlol .  I was just into making my Dora outfits and it was something to do on the bus ride home.

post-4896-0-19873900-1415934593_thumb.jpg

is that the same one you have?

I am planning another one of these at least but I have a hexagon panel ghan to finish and the Sophie's round ghan.  It can be done :wlol

I'm trying to think of something new and interesting to do with this parttern  it is so adaptable.

No, that's the RH ocean, one of my favorites. This is a dark teal, one of the One Pound colors that just sits there is splendid isolation without any similar shades. I had bought two skeins so I could make a solid color lapghan, but that has definitely lost it's appeal in the interval since I bought it.

I like it, darski. I'd also like to see what else you could do with that pattern. You have such a good eye for color. 

You are so kind.  I've been thinking about it and considering some colours.  I really want to try the blues and white but I don't think I have enough of (any) blues... will have to try it. random can be good :rofl

I'm about 2/3 finished with mine. The large middle run of ocean turned out to only need 26 rows. I have two more of those to do and then it's on to the section with stripes. It feels like that goes faster because there's an easier measure of progress. I think that's why it always feels like it takes twice as long to make anything in a solid color. It just goes on and on with no milestones to give you hope.

I was thinking earlier today of some of the beautiful Christmas afghan and throw patterns I've seen. Some fall we should have a holiday afghan CAL. 

I'm about 2/3 finished with mine. The large middle run of ocean turned out to only need 26 rows. I have two more of those to do and then it's on to the section with stripes. It feels like that goes faster because there's an easier measure of progress. I think that's why it always feels like it takes twice as long to make anything in a solid color. It just goes on and on with no milestones to give you hope.

I was thinking earlier today of some of the beautiful Christmas afghan and throw patterns I've seen. Some fall we should have a holiday afghan CAL. 

I agree with this idea.  Would be a good project to start after Labour Day... I'll try to keep it in mind.  I'll send myself a Yahoo reminder :eek

I also agree about those long runs of a colour - they go one and on.  My largest run was only 9 rows but it did seem to drag on.

Archived