A Wobble Afghan CAL

darski

This pattern was just featured in my "Laying it all out" newsletter today.  It's a Moogly pattern so we know we are off to a good start.

post-4896-0-35940700-1415339317_thumb.jpg

http://www.mooglyblog.com/vintage-wobble-afghan/

I have to go and check out my stash for colours but I think I have some really pretty ones to make this.

(yeah, I know... still working on my Sophie's block :rofl  , no really)

post-4896-0-95227900-1415339315_thumb.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Her colors are pretty! Looks like a simple repeat. I'm not too much on changing colors every row, but I might have to try a lap size one, maybe with a lighter colored row in with several rows of another color.

that is what I was planning as well.  I'm not good with a new colour every row either.

It is a simple pattern but it is the colourways you choose that make it.  It is so open to interpretation :heart

So are you doing this as a CAL or is the Moogly site?  I'm a little confused...what's new?  :lol

I am hosting the CAL here.  I was just showing the pattern for any who might want to try a rather simple (but mahvelous) blankie.

I have my colours.  I want this to be very cheery and bright.

post-4896-0-48534000-1415299221_thumb.jpg

I have lots of yarn in all of these colours so I should be good to go.  just need to consider colour placement. 

I plan to use the white for the power row... i.e. row between colours. :wlol

I hope others will join in on this one.  It is much easier and so will be quicker to make.

underway :wlol

I am going for a lapghan so I started with ch 93 (7 X 12 plus 7 plus 2) 

I am using a 6.5mm hook because the yarn is about a 4.5 weight. not quite a bulky but more than a medium.

It should go quickly.  once the beginning row sets the pattern there is not too much notice required.  (I have been tending to do shells more often than the V-st that is needed :blush but I think I can stay on track :rofl )

these colours should be very nice to work with as well.

post-4896-0-89689000-1415311974_thumb.jpg

I love this afghan. It's on my "someday" list, but I have too many other projects going right now.

I know that feeling but I just needed something simple to work on.  I always have a few things on the go at any one time and this is my "easy" one :wlol

I like your colors you're using...very bright and cheery!  I have too much other stuff going right now to join you but I'll be sure to check in to see how it's going.  Maybe this CAL will stay open a little longer?  :lol   Just kidding Darski!

Yes, this CAL will be more of an open ended typye.  The Fairy Tales ghan was so much work that it really was a one off event. 

I hope to try this in other variations.  I like the original and may try that look and that size.

I'll do this, Darski, and will be making it lapghan size too. I'll have to give some thought to how I will do the colors because I am NOT going to change colors every row. Life is too short to deal with that many ends, and it's hard to weave them in when there is so little area of the same color. I like the texture of it though.

I just join another CAL over on Ravelry that I'm going to use ILTY for, and I think I may for this one too. I'm beginning to feel like I'm stuck in trench warfare with the One Pound and I would like a break from it. Anyway, the ILTY has better blending colors, though what I have is rather random. I have a lot of turquoise and peacock colors too and may go with that, but I'll also see what else is there. I have a lot of autumn-y orange and rust too. 

welcome aboard.  I can't wait to see what you use for colours.

This is one of those ghans that is very open to interpretation.  It can be what ever you want.  I don't think I would do this with a change every row either.

I am trying to avoid doing the same thing over and over on this so I am changing up the colours in the repeat rows.

post-4896-0-55493700-1415456108_thumb.jpg

this seems to be just right for a wheelchair ghan.  I do think it could have been one multiple (of 12) wider but we live and learn.

I decided to go with eight colors - black, royal blue, peacock, turquoise, emerald, limelight, yellow, and buttercup. I think. I may have to buy more black and yellow if I do that. Or I could use less of the end colors and more of the middle colors, since they are the ones I have most of anyway.I don't mind getting another skein of black, even though this is in my use it up list, because I have a lot of gray and may need more to use that anyway. I'm not as keen on having to buy more yellow. That would give me about 6" of each color. I'll need to do three or four rows of the black to see how many rows in total I'll need, and then I can work with a sequence. I didn't have time to check through the remnant balls - I may have a little more black there, but don't remember any. 

I have more work than usual at the library this weekend but I should be able to get a start on it tonight.

I decided to go with eight colors - black, royal blue, peacock, turquoise, emerald, limelight, yellow, and buttercup. I think. I may have to buy more black and yellow if I do that. Or I could use less of the end colors and more of the middle colors, since they are the ones I have most of anyway.I don't mind getting another skein of black, even though this is in my use it up list, because I have a lot of gray and may need more to use that anyway. I'm not as keen on having to buy more yellow. That would give me about 6" of each color. I'll need to do three or four rows of the black to see how many rows in total I'll need, and then I can work with a sequence. I didn't have time to check through the remnant balls - I may have a little more black there, but don't remember any. 

I have more work than usual at the library this weekend but I should be able to get a start on it tonight.

those colours will be amazing.  can't wait to see it

I was teasing about the "slacking". You've done plenty - just probably not 271.

I've done a few rows and really like this pattern. Thanks for finding and sharing it!

I started it with a row of sc that stabilized the beginning. I think I am going to frog it back to that point and put some dc/s on the ends of the rows. If I do that, it shouldn't need a border. I may have to make that wider in this one because I'm not going to start it all over again and it is the wider shell that they will be replacing. I got the repeats to work to about 37.5" wide, which is fine. On others, I may be able drop a few of those stitches to use only 3 dc's on each side. At any rate, this pattern is a keeper. It would look good with any stripe configuration.

I have tons of downloaded patterns in binders, and a notebook called "Patterns That Work" where I hand copy the keepers, adding notes and diagrams. This one is earning it's place there.

The sequence I'm thinking of using is AAAA B AA BB A BBBB C etc. I can add or drop colors or increase the "BBBB' part near the center to adjust length. I'll see how that plays out.

I was teasing about the "slacking". You've done plenty - just probably not 271.

I've done a few rows and really like this pattern. Thanks for finding and sharing it!

I started it with a row of sc that stabilized the beginning. I think I am going to frog it back to that point and put some dc/s on the ends of the rows. If I do that, it shouldn't need a border. I may have to make that wider in this one because I'm not going to start it all over again and it is the wider shell that they will be replacing. I got the repeats to work to about 37.5" wide, which is fine. On others, I may be able drop a few of those stitches to use only 3 dc's on each side. At any rate, this pattern is a keeper. It would look good with any stripe configuration.

I have tons of downloaded patterns in binders, and a notebook called "Patterns That Work" where I hand copy the keepers, adding notes and diagrams. This one is earning it's place there.

The sequence I'm thinking of using is AAAA B AA BB A BBBB C etc. I can add or drop colors or increase the "BBBB' part near the center to adjust length. I'll see how that plays out.

I agree that this is a keeper.  I finished my first one and I don't think it needs a border at all. 

I did debate whether to start with a row of sc but was just too lazy to go back and start over.  My 2nd one is going to be larger by a bit.  I started with 129 sts but with a 6.mm hook

I got started this afternoon. Got I think to row 8. I'm using 4 colors and winging it on the arrangement of the colors.

I was surprised at how quickly this works up.  My next one is going to be 2 colours, -black and beige- have to use them up somehow :rofl  For this one I am going to work on sets of 10rows. my first set will be 9 rows of black and 1 of beige.  the 2nd set will be 8 rows of black and 2 of beige and so on and so on until I finish with 1 row of black and 9 beige.  it should be interesting.  that would mean that I will have 100 rows... might be too large :think  we'll see when we get there.

Ooh - that's pretty Grayhoundgrandma! I always hesitate to use light blue with those greener blues, but it looks great. What yarn are you using?

darski, I like that color sequence. I'll be interested to see what size it turns out. I did start over with mine. To get the width, I used 3 dc on each end, but started and ended with the V-st section rather than the shell. I'm only a couple of rows into the re-do, and may not get any more done on it tonight. I brought in the other one that I'm having some trouble getting started right, which I don't understand. It's 2 rows of dc, then 2 rows of granny stitch shells. Easy-peasy. But the ends aren't looking right. The pattern says to skip the last stitch on the fifth row that I haven't done, because that doesn't make any sense at all to me.. I think I just got something off in mine. So I'm going to do a narrow swatch and see what really works. I want to be ready to just pick these up and roll while I'm off and not still be fiddling around with working things out.

I was surprised at how quickly this works up.  My next one is going to be 2 colours, -black and beige- have to use them up somehow :rofl  For this one I am going to work on sets of 10rows. my first set will be 9 rows of black and 1 of beige.  the 2nd set will be 8 rows of black and 2 of beige and so on and so on until I finish with 1 row of black and 9 beige.  it should be interesting.  that would mean that I will have 100 rows... might be too large :think  we'll see when we get there.

I think that sounds awesome 

Ooh - that's pretty Grayhoundgrandma! I always hesitate to use light blue with those greener blues, but it looks great. What yarn are you using?

They are all Caron one pounders. The blues are so-so together, but I think overall are looking ok. It's what I had in my stash.

Archived