Yarn Dye Lots

SweetCaliroy

Thank you, Kathy!

The two skeins has a blueish tone than the other 2 skeins, which has a greenish tone to it.

I had planned on making a scarf.

Is it hard to find Lion Brand Tweed Stripes yarn?  I know that Joann carries them but don't know what other store has it.

it looks like this yarn is variegated http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/tweedstripes.html  with each skein having several colors in it.  The skeins may look different because a different color section is on the outside.  Have you started working with it to see how it looks when crocheted?  

if the skeins are noticeably different all the way through, you may need to do stripes or something.  Do you have a scarf pattern in mind?  

I have not started working on it yet as I am not sure if I can get away with 2 skeins.

The scarf pattern is the "Shell Crochet Winter Scarf" from www.crochetgeek.com.  The pattern calls for 4 medium ply yarn but I could not find any yarn that I had enough of so I thought I would be able to get away with using a thicker yarn.

I suppose that I can use stripes but I haven't gotten the hang of switching yarn while crocheting.  :-)

OK, looking at the pattern http://www.crochetgeek.com/2008/11/shell-crochet-winter-scarf.html (and assuming I have found the right one there) since it does call for worsted yarn and an I 5.5mm hook, but your yarn is bulky/chunky and suggests a K 6.5mm hook, the gauge of  this yarn is quite different than the worsted.  your scarf will be thicker than it would with worsted, and each shell will be noticeably taller and wider.   You will have to swatch the yarn with a compatible hook (not an I unless you are a very loose crocheter) and see how it looks.  I would suggest that you follow the instructions for the narrower scarf---the one that starts w/ 20 ch and has 3 shells in the first row---unless you do want a scarf that is very wide.  

I never can really predict how things are going to look, esp w/ variegated yarn, so if i were you i would go ahead and start on the scarf.  when one skein runs out, switch to a skein of the other dye lot, and see how it looks.  do enough rows to see how all the color changes work out.  I bet the 2 dye lots will be fine together.  Do not weave in the yarn ends until you are certain you like the scarf, so that you can rip out the whole thing if you decide you don't like it.  Once you weave in the yarn ends it is much harder to rip out.  

I agree with you that I should start working on it since it's possible that 2 skeins may be just enough.  The scarf is for my mom who is a little under 5 feet so it won't be super long.  I'll admit that I've been having trouble finding enough yarn that I like.  Every time I find a yarn I like, there's only 1 or 2 skeins.

Thanks for responding back to me, Kathy.  I was not sure if anyone actually replies back to posts but I'm glad that you did.  :D

If one of the skeins makes less than half the length, and the dye lots do look different, you could switch to the different one, and crochet far enough with it for the matching skein to complete the other end. That's not a perfect solution, but the ends that are most obvious will match and the other will be less conspicuous up around her neck. Then smile proudly, just like this is exactly what  you meant to do from the beginning. As someone just posted in another forum, "there are no mistakes, only designer decisions."

Changing colors is no different than picking up another skein. Leave the last stitch of color A incomplete, stopping at the point where you would pull off the last two loops on the hook. Fold over the end of the color B yarn, catch the fold with your hook and pull it up in a loop through the two loops already on the hook, completing that stitch. Then just carry on. Usually that will be turning and chaining up to start the next row.

Thanks for responding back to me, Kathy.  I was not sure if anyone actually replies back to posts but I'm glad that you did.  :D

You're welcome!  Please don't hesitate to post any questions you have, almost always you will receive one or more replies.  

I like the idea of using one color for the 2 ends of the scarf, and the other color in the middle.  that way you can make it as long as you want...well, as long as 4 skeins can make it lol

DDC had a great suggestion!  Make it a design feature.  

Also, unless I live in a town to which Lion Brand ships all their production mistakes, I've never found LB variegated yarn even with the same dye lot to match.  They make a lot of pretty yarns, but I avoid LB unless 1 skein is enough for a project.

Archived