Need help with color bleed question

kraftynkrazy

Question

I have a special order project which requires a certain color yarn (ILTY cranberry) which I know is available online and hope to pick up at my local Hobby Lobby tomorrow,  (The order needs to be completed by Wednesday.)  The problem is that the reviews of this yarn in this particular color are poor due to excessive bleed which would ruin the project once washed.  Would washing the yarn prior to using it prevent this?  How can I wash an entire skein of yarn without getting huge knots?  And can you dry acrylic yarn in a dryer?  I have always laid flat to dry but I won't have time.  Please help.  :/

8 answers to this question

Ok I do 2 things with yarn that bleeds.  Certain color of the cotton runs.

I first use only cold water.

Second I use those Shout Color Catcher sheets, that you can get at your local grocery store.

I was surprised the first time I used them.

Mary Jo is right; the sheets work great. But, if the color bleeds from the yarn, that means it will be fading. Maybe you would want to consider a different brand of yarn.

This is strange. Cotton yarn does sometimes bleed, but acrylic yarn shouldn't ever, no matter what the color. If acrylic bleeds, they've screwed something up at the manufacturer and I'd never buy it.

I just wanted to answer your question about how to wash a full skein of yarn - DON'T!!!!!

I can tell you from experience that it'll wash fine (you put the whole skein into pantyhose or knee highs and tie the top closed so it holds the skein shape) - the problem is the dang thing won't dry.

I once washed 10 skeins of yarn and they were in the dryer for FOUR hours and the centers were still wet.  

I wound up throwing them all away.

Archived