Selling patterns: pattenfish vs. ravelry vs. etsy vs. ?

I currently have patterns for sale posted on etsy and ravelry....I don't have sales yet but part of that is being fairly new (years ago I was on Etsy and did okay with selling, but now reopened shop a month ago after a few years off, and I'm new to ravelry this year) and I need to keep adding more listings, I only have a few right now.

I'm curious for those of you who post the same patterns to multiple websites....where do you sell the best?  What are your reviews about the different options?  I saw that Patternfish takes a huge chunk of commission...but I'm wondering if maybe they do well selling it so it's worth it?

I also sell finished products on Etsy - I'm mostly asking about the best place to sell patterns.

Thanks for any advice!

I sold more patterns on Etsy than Ravelry.

Ravelry has that revolving pattern thing.  The news ones that are posted are at the top.  If you want to get your name out there then post something every day or other day for a little bit instead of 10 at once.

I haven't used the other ones.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I consistently sell twice as many patterns on Etsy as I do on Ravelry (2014 YTD is 56% Etsy; 26% on Ravelry). I also sell on Craftsy (14% YTD) and have a few patterns listed here on Crochetville. I currently have 70 patterns on Etsy and 90 on Ravelry - I have no idea why I do so much better on Etsy! It was the same way even before Etsy added the instant download capability too. <shrug>

I don't sell on Patternfish specifically because of the big commission - and I really think my stuff is out there enough. I don't feel like I need to be on every single pattern selling venue out there - too much hassle for too little return. :)

For what it's worth, that's been my experience. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have my patterns on Etsy, Ravelry, Craftsy and Crochetville. I agree that Etsy generates the best sales for me, followed by Craftsy and Ravelry. I have a couple of sales from Crochetville, but the cashing out policy is troublesome. 

Archived