Crocheting in the Round with a Problem

Jessica Northcutt-Swain

Question

I am crocheting a motif wrap with some fingering yarn my mom gave me. It's all different "sizes" and 'textures", but it works for a motif collage that I'm doing.

My question is: I am to crochet a chain of 4 and place 19 DC into the fourth chain and then join. When I am finished with that part, I always work my hook into the wrong side of the piece and do a chain one with the tail to secure everything. I pull tightly and I end up tearing the work apart from the inside out. This has NEVER happened before and I always start the weaving process in this manner to help secure ends. It doesn't come apart from the tail, but rather from somewhere else and completely unworks itself. What am I doing wrong and what could I do to reinforce the motifs I have already made so that doesn't happen again???

Any answers would be exceptionally helpful, as I only have until the end of the month to finish for a birthday present. Thanks.

9 answers to this question

hi, welcome to the ville :hook

it sounds to me like you are catching the hook on that initial chain, into which all the 19 sts were made, and tearing it.  then the 19 sts have no base.

the yarn could be old and starting to deteriorate, or it could be new but fragile.  can you break the yarn easily by grasping it in 2 places and pulling your hands apart?  Some yarns do break easily but are OK when stitched up.  But if it's too fragile, it may not hold up well to use and wear.  

I'm not a huge fan of starting a motif in a chain stitch, because i think it puts a lot of pressure on that one stitch---esp if you are working 19 sts into it, that's a lot of sts.    You can use "magic loop" instead http://www.yarnspirations.com/brimming-with-texture-hat.html   or sliding loop which i think is a bit easier  http://blog.lionbrand.com/2009/09/24/motif-afghan-crochet-along-youre-the-designer/

Or  just chain 3 or 4 , join w/ a slip stitch, and then do your chain 3 and the 19 dc into the initial ring----that may be the sturdiest way to start.

And I always weave in my beginning yarn tail with a tapestry needle rather than using the hook to weave in, tapestry needle is very gentle on the yarn.  

Yes, it is a little old, or I am assuming it is. I actually did the same thing with brand new yarn that I just purchased to see what it would do and it did the same thing, though not as badly, so I think I should either chain a few stitches and join or do a magic loop for the rest.

However, I have already made 27 of the 29 motifs, so I was also wondering what I could do to reinforce the middles of the motifs so that they don't come apart later while wearing or washing. Thanks for replying magiccrochetfan.

Re using sewing thread, I have read that it is possible that it can cut yarn if used to sew on buttons, seam, etc.  I have not tried it myself, so i don't have any personal experience with it, but thought I should share the info.  

I think I would try to use the yarn, or some other yarn that is similar, to reinforce the middles.  eta:  i would use a tapestry needle and just pull the yarn thru the bottoms of the first sts, go around a couple of times then weave in the ends.  

Smiley, what fibers is the the yarn you are using?  Or is that info unavailable to you?  

Yes, I had trouble in the past sewing buttons with thread as it does break eventually.

I actually did something similar with a tapestry needle. I threaded some crochet thread into the circle and the first stitch and kind of weaved in and out of each of the stitches toward the bottom and then I looped the needle into the crochet thread a few times to secure. Then I continued around and around, in essence "weaving in" the ends and it seems to be holding. It's extra work for me, but at least it will stay together.

And no, Magiccrochetfan, I did not have any information. They were just a bunch of little balls of fingering yarn that my mom had had for years. She was cleaning out her closets and found it...

Thanks for the advice everyone!

to post a photo, click on More Reply Options at the bottom of the area where you type your post.  You will see Attachments and a big paper clip. There you can click Choose Files.  You might be able to post directly from your camera, i'm not sure.  

Archived