The difference between starched and not startched

Veronika Rohrhofer

I made this miniature doily a few days ago. Yesterday I starched and pinned the doily and I thougt that I liked it better not starched. You might guess what I did: I made another one and left the second one as it was. The pattern is ideal for a size 50 thread. Here are the two doilies (the second one does not show to be much smaller as the first one) and a photograph of both to show you the difference.

post-71583-0-81066500-1412756773_thumb.jpgpost-71583-0-57163400-1412756838_thumb.jpg

post-71583-0-56482400-1412756920_thumb.jpg

Here's a question for you....how do you clean these?  I mean, if it's starched you can't just throw it in the wash, correct?

It is no problem to wash a starched doily in the washing machine. After washing I usually starch and pin it again and it looks as if it is new. Since I use only quality thread (100% cotton, mercerized) I can wash it again and again even at high temperatures.

After my mom's death I took my table clothes, table runners and doilies which I have made for her for different occasions. They all were well kept but some had bad stains (e.g. coffee, tea or what ever). I have put the dirty ones in boiling water with some special chemicals and I could remove all the stains. Nobody now can see that those are old ones and had been dirty before!

Greetings from Vienna, Veronika

Thank you for the cleaning instructions.  So if I were to wash a thread doily, I would pin it and let it air dry, then starch it?  Sorry to be so dumb about this!

I usually dip it in the liquid starch and then pin it on my board and let it dry, or I pin the clean dry doily on my board and put spray starch on it and let it dry. The starch (as I use it) on the doily makes it stiff, keeps the shape and also prevents it from the dust in the air. Do not get any liquid on a starched doily!

If you want to make starched things a little more spill-resistant, try spraying them with Scotchgard or Craftgard. ( I don't know whether those are available outside the US, but there's no doubt something similar.) Hair spray will also work and is better if you want to wash them often.

If you want to make starched things a little more spill-resistant, try spraying them with Scotchgard or Craftgard. ( I don't know whether those are available outside the US, but there's no doubt something similar.) Hair spray will also work and is better if you want to wash them often.

Thank you for your advice! I always use "Hoffmanns Flüssig Stärke" and add a little water. Hoffmanns also sells spray starch which is ment as an ironing help. I personally never heard of using hair spray. The elder generation in Austria used to dip their crochet work in icing sugar water (so I was told by the Frauenverein in my home place in Carinthia).

Archived