kelvweb

How to add a link?

I know where the link symbol is, but when I click it, the pop-up box that says  "protocol, anchor name, element id" has me confused 

I've tried various things and the box always freezes up and won't let me select "cancel" to get rid of it.   Can someone please help?  Even my son, who is home from college, couldn't figure it out.

You have to copy the link.  Pull up the eyes with the globe. Now where it is blank, is where you paste the link.  You will see the courser blinking on the URL space.  Then click ok. 

You do need to high light where you want to put it.  You can also, just right click and add the link.

Edited by Tampa Doll

Yikes, I don't see eyes with a globe- where is it?  I know how to copy and past a link to put in the url box but the element id and protocol is :think

Edited by kelvweb

First you need to copy the link you want to add.

Then highlight the word  you want to attach the link to for it to work.  For demonstation purposes I've added a link.  I often link to my blog here.

After highlighting the word find the paperclip and click on it.  A box will open.  Past the link in and hit OK.  I'm not sure where you are getting an element ID and protocol.  The box is pretty basic.

Edited by Bailey4

On my full options it looks like eyes with a globe.  It is the 9th icon from the left on the second like of options.  That is the one with B I U S with a slash through it. X with a 2 below and X with a 2 above, then 2 sets of bulleted list.  One to remove and one to put on.  On my lap top, the next on looks like 2 eyes and a globe.

This is the one I always use.

I can see where it might look like eyes and a globe.  It really is a chain though, with a plus sign in a circle.  Next to it is the broken chain for unlinking. If you search for web link icon, you get lots of chains. :)

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0LEVzIlri5UzG8A9llXNyoA?p=web+link+icon&fr=yfp-t-901&fr2=piv-web

Thanks for trying to help!

I figured out my problem.... I was using Internet Explorer.  When I switched to Google Chrome it worked easily :)    (On internet explorer, the pop up box had the following lines:  

link type

protocol/url

by anchor name by element id

email address

message subject

message body

Plus, on internet explorer the pop up box wouldn't cancel or accept ok for a link.)

With Google Chrome, the link icon pop up box has only:  

link type

protocol

url

Chrome allowed me to post a link.   Practice link to the history of crochet:   http://www.crochet.org/?page=CrochetHistory

I always just copy the URL and then paste it into the post

http://www.amazon.com/The-Crochet-Answer-Book-Solutions/dp/1580175988/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412359080&sr=8-1&keywords=crochet+answer+book

that's very simple and I like it because readers can see what the link actually is.  changing the link into a word is cool, but i always wonder what exactly I am opening.  

that's very simple and I like it because readers can see what the link actually is.  changing the link into a word is cool, but i always wonder what exactly I am opening.

If you hold your mouse over the linked word, most (maybe all) browsers will show you what the URL is so you know what you are opening.  Just look at the bottom left of the page. :)

If you hold your mouse over the linked word, most (maybe all) browsers will show you what the URL is so you know what you are opening.  Just look at the bottom left of the page. :)

Using Safari on a Mac.  All i see when i mouse over is "external link".  What is supposed to be at the bottom left?  

Using Safari on a Mac.  All i see when i mouse over is "external link".

I don't have a Mac so it looks like it isn't the same as on a PC.

What is supposed to be at the bottom left?

As I stated, it will show the actual URL/address. 

If I wrote book and put a link to Amazon in that word, when you hover your pointer over the word book you would see the url of Amazon at the bottom left of your screen.  Does that make sense now? Sometimes my typing doesn't keep up with my thinking.  LOL

It doesn't sound like it works the same on a Mac though.  :)