Isaac Mizrahi and his Patterns are driving me nuts!

Kate Sullivan

Question

So, I was watching QVC the other night and heard that Isaac Mizrahi had a line of yarn at Michaels. So, the very next day, I went to buy some. They also had these free patterns that you could take. So I took one. Cute fingerless gloves. Easy!

No so much!

I consider myself pretty good at interpretting and learning new stitches but I am totally stumped with these four. Help!

What the heck is 1 Over 2 Left Cross Cable (1/2 LC), 1 Over 2 Right Cross Cable (1/2 RC), 2 Over 2 Left Cross Cable (2/2 LC) and 2 Over 2 Right Cross Cable (2/2 RC)?

What does it mean when they say FPDC over and underneath the FPDC you just made? I get over … but underneath? How do I FPDC underneath a FPDC? Doesn't that make it a BPDC? It’s very confusing. I’m very comfy with FPDC and BPDC … but this over and under the skipped DCs is killing me.

I found the actually pattern online and the descriptions go something like this:

SPECIAL ABBREVIATIONS
1/2 LC (1 over 2 Left Cross Cable): Skip 1 dc, FPDC around each of next 2 dc, working over the top of FPDC just made, FPDC around skipped dc.
1/2 RC (1 over 2 Right Cross Cable): Skip 2 dc, FPDC around next dc, working underneath FPDC just made, FPDC around each of 2 skipped dc.
2/2 LC (2 over 2 Left Cross Cable): Skip 2 dc, FPDC around each of next 2 dc, working over the top of FPDC just made, FPDC around each of 2 skipped dc.
2/2 RC (2 over 2 Right Cross Cable): Skip 2 dc, FPDC around each of next 2 dc, working underneath FPDC just made, FPDC around each of 2 skipped dc.

10 answers to this question

The front post / back post describes how you insert the hook around the stitch in the row below to form the post [you can shove this base stitch to the back(bp), or pull it out to the front(fp) ].  

The 'fp or bp' does not describe how you reach over or under other stitches in the current row, to get to the skipped stitches.

So, you skip 1 or 2 stitches, then make 1 or 2 post stitches.

The next step is working the skipped stitch.

You have to reach your hook back in the direction from which you came - assuming you are right handed, you reach your hook toward your right hand either in front of the work or in back of the work you just did, to reach those skipped stitches.

Edit, Hi Kathy!

I try not to let the complexity of a crochet pattern get me down.  But for these stitches you describe, I would have to put my hands at it.   Sure do wish I could offer assistance.  On my next trip to Michael's, I will pick up the fingerless glove pattern and try to work it.  Will keep you posted, Katy, a/k/a magiccrochetfan.

---harrietta

I try not to let the complexity of a crochet pattern get me down.  But for these stitches you describe, I would have to put my hands at it.   Sure do wish I could offer assistance.  On my next trip to Michael's, I will pick up the fingerless glove pattern and try to work it.  Will keep you posted, Katy, a/k/a magiccrochetfan.

---harrietta

Thank you!

Archived