Crochet versions of Outlander Claire's capelets/cowls?

kelvweb

Question

17 answers to this question

I am not sure either if crochet would have been available in Scotland at that time. Here's is a brief history about crochet that is fast reading. Interesting too how it bounces around with what is correct or not, who knows.

I do know that my maternal grandmother (Austria) had a ladies crochet handkerchief that belonged to another grandmother way back on the genealogy line and the provenance said it was from the late 1750's. I saw a photo of it years ago and it was beautiful. Like I said, who knows when this all started for sure but I'm glad it did.

I know knitting was very common around that time, I'm not sure where or when crochet really started. I may research the subject one day just for curiosity's sake.

Wow, that Highlander club is expensive!  

I noticed lots of knit and crochet Outlander-type patterns have been popping up on Pinterest.  I was reading an article that said the knitware is the real star of the show.  :clap

I learned the costume designer for the show, Terry Desbach, has her own blog (link is her full name dot com).   It's really interesting to read and it has forums for discussion.  The show currently takes place in the mid 1700's and the 1940's.

I don't think crochet was done in mid-1700's Scotland? (on crochet.org there's a good article titled "History of Crochet by Ruthie Marks").    It would be lovely to see some crochet pop up in the show in the 1940's scenes  :manyheart  

I got lost on the Internet the other day :lol and came across this website that said it was Highlander Yarn club and they send out kits every month to make things seen on and inspired by Outlander. The bad thing is that it was all knitting and it was expensive!!

Would love to help in your search but I don't watch the program so, I'm not familiar with what you seek. If you could provide a few links to some photos in the program it would help for reference.

Archived