CrochetAddict85

What can you make with large granny squares?

What can you make with large granny squares?

I've started making a large green granny square and wanting to turn it into something, but not sure what I can turn it into.

Any ideas?

My Crochet Class makes them into 35" X 35" lap afghans for Veterans' hospitals, people in local nursing homes, and sell them at crafts shows so we can make money to--buy more yarn!! :yes 

• Like 1

Sweaters, vests, tote bags, of course afghans and lapghans, Christmas tree skirts...

To make a loose, boxy sweater, you need three big whole ones, and by "big" I mean the back one reaches from the outside of your upper arm across your back. The sleeve ones can be slightly smaller, depending on the length of your arms. The tricky part is making two half squares for the front. You can choose to fold down the upper front edge as a lapel, or you can work just to the corner on one edge to make a V-neck.

Square tote bags take two squares as big as you want them. When they're as big as you like, you turn instead of continuing in rounds, and dc around in back loop only--no increases in the corners--and when you come to the end of the opposite top corner from where you started, you ch 3, turn and dc back to the start. Do that to each square as many rows as you want for half the depth of the bag, then sew them together. There are only a few dozen ways to make handles :)

Large Granny squares work well as a cover for:

Kindle, Tablet, laptop, pet mat, cotton hot pad, shawl folded in half, placemat, small table mat, baby blanket, or a foot cover on a bed, just to mention a few.

Example; I made this Red Heart pattern some time ago in different shades of blue. I made a braid rope for the handle for less stretch and it turned out nice.

Edited by ReniC

Thank you for your inspirational ideas ladies, I've only been going since April and I have mastered Granny Squares and I want to make something with my squares :)

My Crochet Class makes them into 35" X 35" lap afghans for Veterans' hospitals, people in local nursing homes, and sell them at crafts shows so we can make money to--buy more yarn!! :yes 

Roughly how many rows is 35" x 35"

Roughly how many rows is 35" x 35"

Nikki, it varies with each afghan, because of yarn and hook size.  But I just completed one done with a K hook, and Red Heart Super Saver yarn, and it has 28 rows.

Nikki, it varies with each afghan, because of yarn and hook size.  But I just completed one done with a K hook, and Red Heart Super Saver yarn, and it has 28 rows.

Lovely,

I'm currently making squares this size until I have over 100 as then I can make a massive throw!  Thinking something to use to keep the kids warm while watching films on a Weekend