Surprise crochet sweaters for baby help

barbstitches

Question

I just bought this book by Carla Simms and crocheted the basic sweater pattern, but it didn't come out right. The back is too wide and the sides are too long. I followed it line by line and don't understand what I did wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated

4 answers to this question

your gauge is off.  the gauge should be 14 sc and 16 rows = 4"  (according to the look inside on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Surprise-Crochet-Sweaters-Baby-Darla-ebook/dp/B00HS4FKOM/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410379447&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=surprise+crochet+sweaters+for+babysimms  )

I think the problem is that your sts are too short.  did you measure for gauge?  how do your measurements compare to the pattern gauge and final chest dimension?  the pattern seems to be lacking a schematic, which would be helpful in knowing the finished length.  

there are ways to control your row gauge if in fact that is the problem.  

This pattern is critical for both height and width gauge.  (sometimes in wearables you can get away with just worrying about stitch width)

Since the back is too wide, your stitches are 'fatter' than the required gauge  (back is worked back & forth, not in a mitered fashion like the front).  But the back also looks too short, which suggests as Kathy said that your stitches are too short.  (don't feel bad, my stitches are short and squatty too)

Because the front is half stitch height and half stitch width, and you're saying it's too long, I'm guessing that your shorter stitch height doesn't cancel out your wider stitch width.

Did you use the same yarn as the pattern calls for?  Aran or worsted weight is a range of thicknesses, it could be you picked a yarn that is perhaps thicker than the one used in the pattern - or just that the designer's gauge is different than yours.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/basic-buttoned-sweater

Archived