Canadian Walmart Hook Question

Wondering something about Canadian Walmarts. Went there today on the way back to the States from vacation.

Was astounded to find a minimalist selection of yarn, and nothing but all gray crochet hooks and the same for knitting needles!

We had been in Europe a few years back and that was all they had.

Why is this?

Was hoping to stumble across a broader selection as is common at some Walmarts with crafting sections here.

Unfortunately, many of the US Walmarts (at least the ones around my area) have drastically reduced their craft sections. Many took out the fabric cutting area (however, one put it back in after public demand) but the yarn aisle is so small, it seems if you blink your eye you miss it. Apparently, if the Canadian Walmarts are doing this also, it must be a nationwide trend.

Roe

Maybe so Roe, but it really is the color I was wondering about - they are ALL a very generic gray, and needles are all the same with red tops where size listed.

We saw these overseas in the high end yarn shops where in Europe you would think they would carry trendy colors!

Nope - all drab gray...just wondering about it and if there just isn't the market/demand in both places for the blingy tools weclike here in the states.

Maybe it is due to carrying only a certain brand. Did you per chance notice the brand?  Wal-Mart here in my small town (Arizona) only carries Boye brand hooks and needles.

Oh, I misunderstood your comment. Sorry (senior moment, LOL). I never noticed but the next time I am in my local Walmart, I will have to check what brands and colors they are.

Thanks.

Roe

No problem - just wondering as they all - hooks and needles were basic gray like this...

post-10396-0-88346900-1409773557.jpg

I think it may be that they are helping in some sort of way to keep the local knitting/crochet supply stores and shops afloat by them not swallowing up all the business and offering every color and type of hook under the son, as the US Walmart (the ones that have kept their crafting sections) does.

It was also true of fishing poles and tackle - very little variety - but again the local tackle shops get the business that way.

It is curious why a huge store such as Wal-Mart would only carry one line of hooks/needles.

No problem - just wondering as they all - hooks and needles were basic gray like this...

attachicon.gifimagesCA1Z4UX8.jpg

I think it may be that they are helping in some sort of way to keep the local knitting/crochet supply stores and shops afloat by them not swallowing up all the business and offering every color and type of hook under the son, as the US Walmart (the ones that have kept their crafting sections) does.

It was also true of fishing poles and tackle - very little variety - but again the local tackle shops get the business that way.

Archived