My Attempt at a Granny Square

CrochetAddict85

Well I bought some yarn from the pound shop and although I've been told of many people I've bought the wrong yarn for the hook I own etc.  I feel personally that I've done an alright job from following a YouTube video in all honesty!

I'm struggling with holding my yarn but getting their slowly.

The yarn I'm using is 2 ply (I think) and it's actually knitting yarn and not crochet yarn - Yes My bad but in all honesty I didn't think it mattered, but plenty of people have told me that it does and it's left me feeling a bit down! (To cut a long story short I suffer with social anxiety and depression and it just has made me feel like crap!)  But I keep telling myself I think it looks awesome ..

What do you think?

So sorry for your feelings. I think the square looks very good for your first try. I don't understand the knitting yarn reference as i use all kinds of yarn and didn't think it mattered either.  Yes you could have the wrong size hook but then that's hard to say as tension is different for different people and I don't always use the size the pattern says. Just curious though what size hook did you use?  Hope you start feeling better about things .

I've taught people to crochet with the 'right' size hook to the yarn they were using and their first square did not come out anywhere near as good as yours.. or their second or their third. lol So, I'd say you did a great job. Before long, you'll be able to make grannies with your eyes closed. :) 

I think you did an excellent job with your stitches.

I also think that the hook you used was too big for the yarn.  That's why the sides appear to be sucking in on themselves.  The corners where the shell is are the strongest stitches in the square.  That's why they hold their shape better.

It's a very good first square.  You just happened to have run into a very common problem with yarn size and hook size.

well i agree with all above comments, i can honestly say, im not even quite sure my first came out that good, all that long time ago, but as you practice, and get used to tension,and hook size, etc, all things will improve in crochet!! A good rule of thumb is that if you are using 4 ply ww yarn, an all purpose size h hook works well with most...sprots and baby yarn, probably go down a size or two in hooks, and as for bulkys, or doing two strands together, a larger hook.... that's all i know, lol good luck, nice job and don't be arraid to experiment with hook sizes, and yarns, that's half the fun!!    you did very well !!

I think you did a fantastic job with your square and I'm sorry you struggle with these challenges. One of my grown grand-daughters and I both fight depression, so, I know where you are coming from. I hope you find that crochet is as an immense therapy to help you through bouts that try to pull you down as it has for me.

Please keep in mind, I have found that people who work in fiber arts only have your very best interest at heart and want you to succeed with your pursuits to crochet.

One trick that helped me years ago was to write these tips I got from everyone in a little "crochet" journal so you can refer again and again. I still have them and still look through them for the techniques I might forget how to do.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to your future projects big and small.

I've taught people to crochet with the 'right' size hook to the yarn they were using and their first square did not come out anywhere near as good as yours.. or their second or their third. lol So, I'd say you did a great job. Before long, you'll be able to make grannies with your eyes closed. :)

Aww :embar seriously, WOW thank you! I

I just think myself it looks alright but it's also some nice feedback to know I'm kinda going in the right direction in a way!

I think you did an excellent job with your stitches.

I also think that the hook you used was too big for the yarn.  That's why the sides appear to be sucking in on themselves.  The corners where the shell is are the strongest stitches in the square.  That's why they hold their shape better.

It's a very good first square.  You just happened to have run into a very common problem with yarn size and hook size.

Funnily enough after to chatting to a few crochet ladies I agree but now I've started it and will continue till i run out of wool!

well i agree with all above comments, i can honestly say, im not even quite sure my first came out that good, all that long time ago, but as you practice, and get used to tension,and hook size, etc, all things will improve in crochet!! A good rule of thumb is that if you are using 4 ply ww yarn, an all purpose size h hook works well with most...sprots and baby yarn, probably go down a size or two in hooks, and as for bulkys, or doing two strands together, a larger hook.... that's all i know, lol good luck, nice job and don't be arraid to experiment with hook sizes, and yarns, that's half the fun!!    you did very well !!

Thank you for your kind words, I still can't get my head around crochet hooks to yarn!  so in otherwords in how I read your comment, the thinner the yarn the smaller the hook and the thicker the bigger the hook, right?

I think you did a fantastic job with your square and I'm sorry you struggle with these challenges. One of my grown grand-daughters and I both fight depression, so, I know where you are coming from. I hope you find that crochet is as an immense therapy to help you through bouts that try to pull you down as it has for me.

Please keep in mind, I have found that people who work in fiber arts only have your very best interest at heart and want you to succeed with your pursuits to crochet.

One trick that helped me years ago was to write these tips I got from everyone in a little "crochet" journal so you can refer again and again. I still have them and still look through them for the techniques I might forget how to do.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to your future projects big and small.

thank you that really means a lot :)

Yes, generally finer yarns with finer hooks, so the loops aren't so loose in relation to yarn size - unless you want a particular different effect. But if someone tells you that you have to use hook X with a particular yarn, no, you don't. It depends a lot on how you crochet as an individual. Also, the stitch makes a difference. I would, as a general rule, use an I hook with worsted weight yarn, but if I'm doing the corner to corner pattern I often go up to a J, because the I can make the fabric denser, stiffer than I like - but that depends on the yarn too. Or if I'm making a lacier pattern, I often go down a size so the holes aren't the size of Lake Superior. In time you will probably end up with a variety of sizes and you can experiment with what feels right and looks best to you for the project you are working on. Crochet is an art, not an industrial engineering process - do what pleases you.

Also as for knitting yarn and crocheting yarn, as far as I'm concerned it all just yarn. Fancy string. There are some yarns that may not be as appropriate or practical for particular projects, but again, the only right answer is your own answer. 

So use the yarn you like with the hook that works for you - that's the real rule.

I also agree that it looks great for your first attempt at a granny square!   Did Itzhak Perlman belt out a perfect concerto the first time he picked up a violin?  Heck, no.  Just keep practicing!

I think the knitting yarn reference has to do with the way the yarn is spun,(left or right handed twist). I knit and crochet and haven't found a yarn I can't deal with, although some 'kink up' when I use them (I'm not sure if that's what's supposed to happen if it's the 'wrong' twist for the craft).  

Just a note, here is a comparison of yarn weight terminology, it's different in the US.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn_weight 

A US #4 yarn is "worsted weight", which is equivalent to UK  8 or 10 "ply".  You mentioned you were using 2 ply yarn (since you are in the UK I assume you are using UK terminology), which is much finer; I think some of the US repliers were thinking you were using a heavier yarn (US H or I hook would be pretty big for lace weight).   The chart also shows a range of crochet hooks appropriate for each weight--of course you can stray from that, but there is a limit - you wouldn't (couldn't, really) use a hook made for doily thread with aran weight (10 ply) yarn, for example.

Knitting yarn? Crochet yarn? Whoever came up with that must have rigid ideas about a lot of things, so ignore them. They'd probably sprout feathers if they saw us crocheting with plastic bags, string left from cat food bag closures, baling twine, dental floss or leftover cooked spaghetti (hey, I only did that once, and only because I wanted to know what would happen. It makes interesting lace, but it's not worth trying to squish-splice all those ends.)

Your square looks just fine. If it's a little loose, sure, the hook might be a little big for the yarn. It could also be that you're just getting started on these and your tension is a little off. It's still pretty and usable and I bet it's soft and has a nice drape to it. Keep going!

• 2 weeks later...

I am crocheting an owl  granny  square.  Finally getting it to work out after many attemps. finished the square, just need to make the owl now.

Has anyone else done this pattern ?

http://www.allfreecrochet.com/Granny-Square-Afghans/Owl-Granny-Square

I also have taught many beginners and I think your square is very good for a first attempt.

As Becky stated, you can crochet with anything that will fit around a hook. As someone who has used many non-traditional materials the "squish-splice" comment just made my day.

Archived