Bridgette Anne Berber

Help reading pattern for slippers

Question

Hi all. I'm very much a beginner when it comes to crochet. I've only done practice things, like a few coasters and a cozy. I wanted to move onto something a little (only a little!) more complex, so I found a pattern on redheart.com for some some simple slippers. Here's the link: http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/WR2031.pdf

I was doing fine until row 14. I don't really understand how I'm supposed to end up with 21 stitches when I only chained 14 in the row before. I'm sure I'm missing something. Am I reading the instructions incorrectly?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Bridgette

11 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville :hook

In row nine you stsrted working on only nine sts. In row 13you did the chains. In row 14 you work across the chains plus the 9 sts.

Don't worry, patterns can sometimes stump us all  :lol

You're welcome. 

Okay, I have another question (possibly with an obvious answer, but just to make sure): when it says to sew both sides of the sole to the sides of the slipper, does it mean to sew it with the yarn I have left over from the beginning and ending tails? Or am I supposed to sew it with thread?

You can use the tails, or cut a length of yarn from the ball.  

I've read that sewing thread can cause the yarn to fray or even cut the yarn.

Plus if you use the yarn,the color will definitely match!

I am working on this pattern, also a relative beginner. I am confused about how to work rows 9-12. It says to ch 3, DC in next 10 sts, turn - 11 sts. I just don't understand what I'm supposed to do after I turn. Do I DC back 11 sts?

1 hour ago, Happy Lola said:

I am working on this pattern, also a relative beginner. I am confused about how to work rows 9-12. It says to ch 3, DC in next 10 sts, turn - 11 sts. I just don't understand what I'm supposed to do after I turn. Do I DC back 11 sts?

The "11 sts" is the designer's way of indicating you should have 11 total stitches in each row. 10 dc + ch3 which counts as a dc.

Edited by TexasPurl

Thank you! I am reading it correctly then to say that after I make the last stitch in the row, I would ch 3 again to start to work back the other way?

Correct, rows 9-12 will all start with chain 3, turn to start the row.  As does row 13, but it ends differently, as it is setting you up to work across a longer span.