Crochet 1 2 3 out of business?

babypoohsmom

Hi, On January 30th, Crochet 123 charged my credit card for a subscription. I have received exactly "1" magazine in 7 months.  I called a few weeks ago to ask where the new one is?  It's on the website, why don't I have it?  They said to call back the following Tuesday and if I didn't have it, they would send a new one.  I called back the following Tuesday and their customer service line was "temporarily down".  I went on vacation and came back today and was going to call again.  You can't even get the link to the customer service phone number to work.  Are they out of business?  Should I file an alert with my credit card?  I want my money back. 

My Walmart does not have the new issue. They still have the old one. Joann's has no issues old or new.

If they are still in business why disconnect their phones and then shut down the web link to their phone number?

It makes no sense.

Most of the time the newest issue was not in my Walmart and since I have an aversion lately to subscriptions, I had been ordering it monthly online (if I couldn't find it in the stores). Last time the website was incorrect and I received an issue I already had so I called them and they immediately sent out the correct issue, which was issue 12. I was just at Walmart last week and they did not have Issue 12, nor did I see Knit 1-2-3, the sister publication.

I agree, I would also dispute the charges on your credit card since you paid for something you did not receive. I just looked at the website, the subscription page is still unavailable but I called the telephone number (knew they would be closed on a Sunday but I wanted to see if it worked) and it eventually says  "thank you for calling All American Crafts". Now is that the same company or is that changed. If it has been discontinued, that is sad since it seemed to have nice patterns.

The number I called was 973 347 6900.

Please keep us posted on what happens.

Roe

• 5 months later...

Crochet 1-2-3 has indeed ceased publication. It was a big huge mess all the way around, with absolutely no fault of those who were working as editors and designers for the company that owned the magazine.

Crochet 1-2-3 has indeed ceased publication. It was a big huge mess all the way around, with absolutely no fault of those who were working as editors and designers for the company that owned the magazine.

"I kind of figured that it was no longer in business but it was a shame that they did not post on their website that it would no longer be available. I managed to get all 12 issues and even have a duplicate when the website was incorrect and they sent me the correct one.

I enjoyed this magazine, it had good patterns, easy yet interesting.

Thank you for verifying this for us. I kept checking (just in case, you never know) Wal-Mart to see if it ever popped up again, but sadly no. 

Roe"

• 3 months later...

I did not receive all the issues of crochet 1 2 3 magazine. And I renewed my subscription for two years. I think that the company should have reimbursed the subscribers their money. It's a shame that they went out of business but I am out of the money and there may be more of us that have been taken like that. And we should have been informed by email that they were out of business. The last issue I got was #9. I really enjoyed that magazine and am very disappointed with not getting my full subscription, etc. It makes it harder to be trusting when something like this happens.

• 10 months later...

I am still wondering why no one has even attempted to reimburse those that sent their money for two years and did not get their money's worth. The company that handled the magazine should step up and do the right thing by sending all of us that subscribed our money back. It's not good business to bilk folks out of their hard earned money; who by the way did this in good faith. I for one have a huge problem losing the money especially since its hard earned. Why doesn't someone in charge do something about this.

Yes, it's very frustrating to pay your good hard-earned money for a product and receive nothing in return. Unfortunately, there is no longer anyone in charge to do something about it, as the company that published the magazine no longer exists.

The magazine's parent company declared bankruptcy. There was no money to use for reimbursing subscribers. When a company goes into bankruptcy, they stop paying all bills. Someone is put in place to manage the sale of all their assets, for which they usually get pennies on the dollar. Once everything has been sold off, then they start paying creditors. Some creditors have much higher priority than others. Of course, the lawyers, accountants, and other professionals offering bankruptcy services are the first to be paid, followed by any back taxes owed, rent, utilities, etc. Subscribers come down pretty low on the list and often receive absolutely nothing.

Sometimes another magazine company will purchase a subscriber list, and fill the rest of a subscription with issues of their magazine. But with the state of the magazine industry these days, this is becoming less and less common. Subscribers simply lose out.

I'm sorry to disappoint you and others, but you'll never get your money back nor issues of any other magazine as compensation.

Archived