Sewing flowers on afghans

grammyof12

Question

I'm to this site and this is my first post.  I'm just looking for input from you ladies for sewing flowers on afghans, blankets, and items where you don't want the stitches seen on the other side.  On hats it's easy, but blankets more tricky. So, what do you suggest ladies? I'm festidious so it takes me a long time to sew them on.  Also, I don't want them to fall off from multiple washings...especially little gir's blankets.  Thank you,  Stella

3 answers to this question

Hi Stella, 

First, welcome to Crochetville!

I will explain what I like to do when I don't want my sewing stitches to show through on the other side.

First, place and pin the flower where you want it on the afghan.

Next, using a long tail of yarn and your yarn needle, begin sewing the flower to the afghan by stitching through the center of the posts of the stitches on the afghan (rather than sewing all the way through the fabric).

As you sew, start from the center of the flower and sew in a circle. If you still feel you to secure the flower more, keep sewing in a spiral until the flower is completely secure.

I hope this helps, and is not too confusing of an explanation!

Thank you ladies for you comments.  I've been using matching yarn to do the sewing and I want to make sure they don't fall off even with sometimes weekly washing during the winter.  So far that has worked well.  I haven't sewn the center, just the petals because I don't want the petals to get caught in anything if they are not tacked down. I ususally make larger flowers.  I just wanted to see if anyone had any different methods of sewing them on, but I gues you just got to "sew".  Thanks again. Stella

Archived