Graphghan

FrLopLady

Question

I have to be crazy... I am going to do a graphghan for my grandson for Christmas..hopefully before he graduates from highschool...he is 6 lolol.  

Here is what I'm going to attempt...https://www.etsy.com/listing/162299711/super-mario-crochet-graph-chart-174-x?utm_medium=sem&utm_source=thefind  yeah I know..NOT what one should attempt on their first try at one..but hey...

Ok where do I go for help to get started?  I'm not sure how much yarn to get.  I can figure out colors ok, just need to figure out how much of each

certifiably crazy....

9 answers to this question

First off, that is going to be amazingly awesome when you finish!! I can't wait to see the finished product!! 

I can't answer your questions about the graphs, because I've not done any yet (for afghans.. I've done a bag, but it was in the round so it was fairly easy.) 

The pattern writer, MIGHT, provide colors that she used, but if I were to do it, I might get either ILTY Toasted Almond or well, I was going to say Light Taupe but it looks more green tinted? 

Mary, I would try asking the designer how much yarn to get, though some designers just do the paper design and don't make the product, so she might not know. It's a cute pattern...if you have to choose the yarn on your own, since it's a bright kids ghan and not a picture, per se, I would get maybe two or three skeins of the yarn color most used, and one or two of the other colors.

I've made many graph ghans and what I do is save the receipt and see how long I have before I'm not allowed to return or exchange it. I tend to over buy though, and the stash keeps growing.

I did a small iPod cover in graph. It was complicated. If you haven't down graphs before, find a YouTube tutorial showing you how it goes. It wasn't easy at first and I only did 2 colors. Good luck! Look forward to seeing it when it's done! I was thinking of doing some pixel crochet too but I was going to do something easy like just make a granny afghan where each granny square is a pixel. Usually can only do one character with that method though.

Good luck!

Here is a thread on another crochet forum site with several great links for programs that will help you graph your design:

http://www.reddit.com/r/crochet/comments/2cwkwy/how_to_make_a_crochet_pattern/

As for how much yarn, I would start with 1 skein of each minor color (like brown and dark grey), 2 skeins of each moderate color (like peach and light grey), and 4 skeins of major colors (like red, light blue, and green).  Go for a no dye lot yarn with large skeins so you can easily purchase more if needed.

But, if you buy the pattern, it will probably come with estimates on how much yarn you need.

Not to put a damper on things or your enthusiasm  Mary - but I really think this is going to be way too complicated for your first graph afghan.  Some of those colors are one or two stitches and that's a lot of color changes/weaving in ends.  I've done lots of graph afghans and I'd be walking away from this one myself.

You would be MUCH better off just getting a plain old Super Mario graph and make your afghan.

You need to realize that the ladies that pump out those graphs are just trying to sell them - most of them have never made an actual afghan from the graphs.  

I do wish you luck if you decide to make that one particular graph - but I can guarantee that you'll be frustrated and crying before you're finished.  I really don't mean to be such a downer but I know what it takes to make graph afghans and that one is way too busy even for a seasoned crocheter.  I would really try to find a much simpler afghan pattern if I were you.

Archived