Trouble following a pattern - Someone please put me out of my crochet misery!

blue4814

Question

Hi there,

I am wanting to try an Aran style throw blanket (page 106) from this book "Crocheted Afghans - 25 throws, wraps and blankets to Crochet" by Melody Griffiths but it has really stumped me. It is done in panels but doesn't indicate which panel goes where, which panel you start first and no plan or diagram apart from the gorgeous photo. From my look at it, I should start with the central section but from there I am lost. 

I was just wondering if anyone has ever attempted this pattern or ...well are just a crochet genius that could PLEASE help me decipher it. Please put me out of my misery :-(

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance.

cheers

B from Melbourne x

10 answers to this question

Hi Blue, welcome to the ville :hook

You may want to re-read the community guidelines; we really are not supposed to post entire patterns or big chunks of patterns as this violates the copyright of the pattern.  

If the publisher or designer (who I believe passed away a few years ago) has made the pattern available online, you could link to that.  

Otherwise, you can ask for help from anyone who has the book.  Or if you are stuck o n one section of a pattern, you can type that out in your post.  In this case it seems like the question is about the structure of the whole pattern so that makes it more difficult to pull out small section to quote in a post.  

Morning Kathy,

Sorry about uploading the whole pattern You're right that the whole structure is the problem which made it impossible to pull out a particular section but completely understand the whole copyright issue so will remove. New to this forum so will fumble about to do this. In the meantime - has anyone attempted this pattern? Anyone....anyone.....? X

Sorry about uploading the whole pattern

Blue4814, I have edited your original post for you and removed the pattern you uploaded.

I noticed the pattern was downloaded 13 times before I removed it.

I have a couple things to say to help educate anyone who might be reading this thread about copyright issues:

1. If a copyright owner decides to sue for infringement and the copyright has been registered, they can seek damages of up to $10,000 per issue of infringement (which is the number of people who downloaded the pattern). If a pattern is downloaded by 10 different people, that would mean the person who posted the pattern could face a fine of up to $100,000. Crochetville would not be held legally liable for the infringement as long as we 1) removed it as soon as we discovered the infringement or 2) as soon as the copyright owner submitted a DMCA takedown notice and we followed those legal steps to remove the pattern.

2. If you ever learn that you have posted an entire pattern here when you shouldn't have, please go back and edit your post yourself to remove the pattern. If you don't know how to do that, please consult our Help files which are accessible at any time from the dark blue navigation bar at the top of any forum page. If you don't remove it, the post is usually reported to me, and I come in and remove it. I generally leave a note about why I'm editing a post, just for the sake of transparency (so other members/visitors don't think I'm editing posts without having a very good reason). It might be embarrassing to have that message appear in your post, so you might prefer to do the editing yourself.

Blue4814--

I didn't see the pattern, but I can tell that it's very confusing!  If you can do the panels, I would suggest that you just join them whichever way looks the best.  I love Aran patterns, and I think you really can't mess them up!

Good Luck!

Collette, i agree, the panels will probably look great no matter how they are joined.  If desired, throw a  round or 2 of simple border on the panel, then join with your favorite joining method.

M Griffiths did some really pretty things, but the books I have seen had directions that were not as helpful as I would have liked---that could be either the author's style or the publisher's template.   

And personally I really dislike patterns that don't make it clear where you are stitching, give us a clear photo or something if you can't include a nice diagram, please, publishers!!

Thanks Kathy and Collette for the feedback. At least I know I am not going completely mad.

Again I apologise Amy for the upload and thank you for amending it. I was on my tablet (rather than laptop) which made it difficult to work out where/how to amend. It won't happen again.

Archived