Using a Scarf Pattern to Make an Afghan

SweetButterfly

Question

I made several scarves using a pattern in which you sc in the next dc and dc in the next sc ~ all in the same row.  The wider scarf began with 25 chains and the skinny scarf pattern began with 14 chains.  I love the look and chunky feel of my scarves and would love to make an afghan using this pattern.  My question is how to figure out the number of chains to start.  

NOTE:  The pattern I used for the scarves is on page 49 (patterns #6 and #7) in the premier issue of Crochet 1-2-3 magazine  (Issue 1; 2012).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Cadie

8 answers to this question

Just measure your scarves and see how wide they are.  then count the stitches in a row and figure how many sts you have per inch.  multiply that # by the # of inches wide you want the afghan to be.  

For an afghan, I would be extra careful to make the beginning chain very loose.  if it is tighter than the other sts, it will really pull in the starting edge.  It will be more noticeable ina wide project than in a narrower one.  

Just measure your scarves and see how wide they are.  then count the stitches in a row and figure how many sts you have per inch.  multiply that # by the # of inches wide you want the afghan to be.  

For an afghan, I would be extra careful to make the beginning chain very loose.  if it is tighter than the other sts, it will really pull in the starting edge.  It will be more noticeable ina wide project than in a narrower one.  

Thanks! :)

I would just chain "x" number of stitches until I thought it was the size I wanted, and go from there.  Good Luck!

If the pattern gives a multiple, you can make it any size you want, just by using that multiple.  For example, if the multiple is 10 plus 1, you make a chain that is divisible by 10, and add one more chain.

Multiples of 2, plus add 2 for base chain, but yeah - you could also dispense with counting and just make a chain the length you want, turn, and if it turns out you made an odd number, you can pick out the extra chain later.  Agree with using a 1 size bigger hook for the base chain.

Pattern

http://newstitchaday.com/how-to-crochet-the-griddle-stitch/

Multiples of 2, plus add 2 for base chain, but yeah - you could also dispense with counting and just make a chain the length you want, turn, and if it turns out you made an odd number, you can pick out the extra chain later.  Agree with using a 1 size bigger hook for the base chain.

Pattern

Pattern

Thanks for the info!

Archived