I'm confused

Quik

Question

Hi,
I'm trying to get back into crochet by doing a dishcloth but I don't understand the following:
over next 4 st work half double crochet twice
I'm thinking it means work half double crochet in the next 4 stitches but how can I do it twice?
Please help clear this up for me.
Thank you.
~Quik

Here's the link to the pattern.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...chet-dishcloth

7 answers to this question

On first glance I think it might mean working the stitch over the 4 stitches then The Next 4 stitches again....

the problem is the key is wrong.  it says cdc= half double.   but look at the beginning of the patter, cdc is crossed double.  each cdc is actually 2 sts.  

tutorial http://www.nexstitch.com/v_front_cross_stitch.html   see also the back cross st on nexstitch

and welcome to the ville :hook

Kathy,

Thank you for clearing the confusion.  I followed your suggestion and it worked.

There's certainly a lot of difference between half double stitch and cross double stitch.

Boy, I don't know why I picked this hard pattern to start back on crocheting.

I'm so glad I found this website.

~ Quik

The stitch pattern used in the cloth is not unique, it is in a stitch dictionary--- I think the Harmony Guides---at least I am sure i have seen it somewhere.

It's too bad they didn't proofread well enough to catch the goof in the abbreviation key, but at least the info is in the pattern.  

Another question I have since I'm crocheting into this for a few rows.  I started this with chain 41, sk 2 ch then sc in each ch to end.

I counted at the end of every row and should be 40 stitches, right?  Some pattern would indicate number of stitches at end of a row but this one doesn't and I wanted to make sure I have the correct number of stitches each time.  I sometime counted 41, then sometime I counted 39 and 38, then I undo the row to restart to get the right number each time.  I don't know why I have a hard time keeping the same number of stitches at end of each row.  I have to be careful.

So is something I need to know? 

In my picture attached, the left edge is not as straight as the right edge.  I'm wonder if my number of stitches not consistent on each row.

Thanks.

post-72422-0-48051000-1406472731_thumb.jpg

Archived