Sparkly-type yarn?

bbgrl

Question

Hi Everyone, I'm hoping you can help me. I've started making what i call repunzel hats for a group of sick girls at my church that don't have much hair or have lost their hair due to chemo for the winter. The hats have long blonde braids on each said as well as a crown and i'm letting each girl choose her crown color.

Now here's my problem. I have checked my Local Joanns and Walmart for some sparkly yarn for the crown they have purple and silver and blue and pink but no gold. and of course one of the girls wants a gold crown.

I'm scared to order any online because i don't know if it's for sure what i want. Can you recomend any certain yarns for me or colors.

I do not and will not go to hobby lobby it is not an option

Thank you in advance!!

4 answers to this question

What a sweet gesture on your part.

Jo-Ann online carries a yarn called Enchant that may work for your crown section of the hats. It's very sparkly but does need to be washed by hand. If it's too light weight for your preference, it can be crocheted along with another type of yarn. 

Yes, I would also recommend using a light-weight metalic thread (Such as Anchor Artiste which comes in lots of colours) held together with another yarn (say yellow or ochre). This has the advantage that the metallic thread will go a long way - you should get a few hats from one ball.

Hope that's helpful!

Archived