Ok... Other than it always being a handy and convenient skill on a daily basis...

When has your crochet skill been particularly handy? Have you needed to whip something together in a pinch? Have you had to make something out of necessity in that moment?

Please share your story!

We had gone on vacation to a warmer climate, and my husband planned a deep sea fishing trip with his buddy and was taking our daughter on it. I always pack and plan for the weather... But I was left uninformed that the fishing trip would take place at 6:00 a.m, and well, it would be chilly out on the ocean at that time in the morning. Luckily I packed her good rainproof/wind proof jacket that luckily had a warm hood on it.... But no mittens, and it was the time of year when there would be no mittens left in the stores around that vacation area.

The day before the fishing trip, I sat down during the kid's nap time and whipped up a pair of mittens. Thank goodness I brought my hooks and my yarn on the trip, those mittens were needed, and kept some tiny fingers warm and cozy!

I have a continuing thread running through my little pea brain that I call WILC or Why I Love Crochet. 

I don't have room in my small galley kitchen for even a drain tray (*single sink) so I just made a Post st square that serves as a drain but only uses as much room and I want.  Of course I then made all the 'go withs' like a tea cozy, pot-lid picker and handle cozy just to keep the kitchen all together.

When I wanted to be able to take my Kindle with me I just made a cozy that let me carry it hands free but still read it on the bus or during wait times.

My most recent was when I made my night splint to keep my fingers from clawing up overnight.

I also made a quiver type holder to keep my umbrella on my walker.  I just turn to my crochet hook whenever some need makes itself felt. :rofl

Thank you for starting this thread.  I look forward to seeing all that people have to say on this topic. :ghug

• 2 weeks later...

My sis wanted can cozies a day before a BBQ so I made 10 (2 on the way to her house). I whip up pot holders, coasters, dish scrubbies, can cozies, etc. all the time. Sometimes I make these last minute to add to gift packs for bridal shower, house warming, etc. I've only had to do it out of necessity once (the BBQ).

Ellie 13

Scarves, potholders, dishcloths and spa cloths have always been my last minute go-to patterns.

Friday night I made some flowers from size-10 thread for the grown grand daughter to wear in her hair at work. She loved them and now has one for each day of the week.

@Ellie,

I like to keep gifts stashed away for last minute gifts too. They always add a nice touch to a gift. I actually am running low on toys in my stash. I love having a toy stash. Those come in handy for last minute gifts, or for when you really don't know what to give. They go great with a book or puzzle.

@Renic, those flowers sound so pretty! I bet she loves wearing them.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a large diaper bag to keep up with my son's needs when he was an infant and then a smaller one when he was older when we needed to carry less. The diaper bags in stores are pretty ugly, too small, have no wear near enough pockets, and cost much more than they were worth. Making my own diaper bags was a much better solution and much more convenient.

The other things weren't necessities, but blankets and toys made for nice gifts.

I made a large diaper bag to keep up with my son's needs when he was an infant and then a smaller one when he was older when we needed to carry less. The diaper bags in stores are pretty ugly, too small, have no wear near enough pockets, and cost much more than they were worth. Making my own diaper bags was a much better solution and much more convenient.

The other things weren't necessities, but blankets and toys made for nice gifts.

That's my kind of thinking.  It's WILC (why I Love Crochet). crochet is just there to help with whatever you need

Archived