Corrseye

HELP! Confusing lines of instruction

Question

Hi, I'm new here, and am in need of help with a line of crochet instruction (part of a Whinney the Pooh toy pattern).

The pattern works in rounds.  By the end of Round 1 I have 6 stitches on my round and the 1st stitch of the 2nd round marked.  Here is the round 2 instructions:

3sc in next sc.  ch 2.   skip next sc, 3 sc in next sc. 9sts and one ch-2

OK, most of it is easy, but what does " 9sts and one ch-2" mean?

There is a similar instruction in round 3 which says, "finish off: 11sts and one ch-2"

Can anyone help me please?

3 answers to this question

It appears that those are stitch counts after the period in the pattern. So "9 sts and one ch-2" is how many stitches you should have after finishing your round.

Yes, these are just telling you how many stitches you have in your round.  After Round 2, you should have made 9 sts and a ch-2 space.  It's just to help you count and make sure you have followed the pattern correctly so far.  So, at the end of Round 3, you should have 11 sts and a ch-2 space.

To help you, you could just draw parentheses around those words.  That will make it less confusing as you read the pattern.