Is there a formula?

greyhoundgrandma

I have a baby blanket pattern (Mary Maxim Baby Pineapples Blanket) that I just made and like. It is in #3 weight yarn with a G hook. I want to use this pattern to make a lap throw using #4 weight yarn and an I (or maybe J) hook. Is there any formula for figuring out how much yarn would be needed?

The gauge given in the pattern is for stitches in the border, plus it's a curved stitch pattern and hard to measure accurately.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure what you mean by a "curved stitch pattern".

I've converted a few baby blankets to "Throw" size by just adding half more of the recommended yarn in the pattern and the sizes turned out great (a different border color was extra). I used the suggested hook size on the yarn labels.

Maybe you'd get a faster or better response if you posted in the "Crochet Help" folder.

The stitch gauge is from a small part of the pineapple border, so it's not a straight row to measure. I think my best route will be just to buy an ample supply for a yarn that I can also use for something else if there's too much.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking this over. Most baby blankets are already fairly close to lapghan size. You want to go up in hook and yarn sizes, so the ghan will come out larger than your original anyway. Personally, just in case I needed it, I would add 1 more skein than the original pattern calls for, or add a contrasting color for border rows.

Archived